Disc Mower Questions & Caddy

/ Disc Mower Questions & Caddy #1  

ddivinia

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 5525 and 5093e Kubota SVL75
I am starting my quest for a disc mower. I here there are different drive types, but I have not been able ti find info on the different types. I have been looking at the John Deere 275. Who makes this mower for John Deere? Does JD make it themselves?

My JD dealer is recommending the Krone AM283S. He says it is a better cutter. Comments?

How about Kuhn mower?

I have a John Deere 5525 cab tractor (75 PTO HP).

I am also looking at the KMC mower caddy:

http://www.kelleymfg.com/Cotton_Hay/Hay/disc_mower_caddy.htm

What should I know about these mowers before I buy?

Point me in the proper direction.

Thanks,
D.

/ Disc Mower Questions & Caddy #2  
I have a Kuhn GMD700HD mower. It's the second Kuhn I've had, first one lasted 15 years. They are a very well-made mower. Expensive. Cuts good, easy to hook up when you get everything adjusted. I've seen the mower caddys. It would be a good thing to use on a lighter high horsepower tractor. I don't need one because my 6400 handles the Kuhn like it's not even there.

Kuhn did make the John Deere mowers. Not sure now but two years ago when I bought my new one the Deeres were the same mower as the Kuhn, only priced higher.

/ Disc Mower Questions & Caddy #4  
That's the 8 rotor version of my mower. If it's mounted on the tractor and loaded on a trailer the height becomes an issue. If you never leave your property then it wouldn't be a problem.

/ Disc Mower Questions & Caddy
Ok - when it is in transport mode - it will hit bridges eh?

I am planning on only doing my place.

D.

/ Disc Mower Questions & Caddy #6  
I think the bigger worry is power lines or tree limbs. My mower is a 7 rotor and I have to be careful where I drive with it. When you raise them vertical and then load them on a trailer they're a good ways off the ground.

/ Disc Mower Questions & Caddy #7  
Both Kuhn and Krone have a great reputation as this is their main area of expertise. You will not go wrong with either company.

Are you using this for haying? If so is there any reason you are leaning towards a disc mower instead of a disc mower/conditioner?

I will be doing haying. Coastal Bermuda only

Everybody around here is saying a disc mower will work fine.

Should I consider a MoCo?

Comments?

D.

/ Disc Mower Questions & Caddy #9  
I don't think anyone around here uses a mo-co for coastal. If anything, buy a tedder to fluff the hay if it's extra thick or if it's been rained on. Under normal conditions, I can cut one day, tedder that evening and then be able to bale on the second or third day. This year I usually baled on the next day.

Attachments

• JD 6400 tractor and Kuhn GMD 700 GII.JPG
    JD 6400 tractor and Kuhn GMD 700 GII.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 471
JESSE1 said:
I don't think anyone around here uses a mo-co for coastal. If anything, buy a tedder to fluff the hay if it's extra thick or if it's been rained on. Under normal conditions, I can cut one day, tedder that evening and then be able to bale on the second or third day. This year I usually baled on the next day.

My guys usually cut one day. Let it set 2 days then rake it and bale.

What kind of rake are you using?

What kind of hay are you baling?

D.