hot battery cables

/ hot battery cables #1  

hardluck

Hey evreybody,
This is the first time I've posted on this site. I didn't cut my teeth on computers, the internet, or any associated technology. So bare with me if I'm not doing this right.
I have a Bolens G274, its a great tractor however I've recently discovered a problem that I don't have any experince with. I was wandering if anybody out there has ever had the same problem and could give me some insight.
The other day I was trying to start the tractor and it seemed like the battry was almost dead. I got off the tractor to take a look at the battery and cables to make sure that they were in good condition. When I grabbed the cables I noticed they were very hot. They ground seemed to be hotter that the positive. Also the point where the ground was connected was very hot.
Does any body have any ideas?

/ hot battery cables #2  
First, welcome to the froum.

Warm/hot cables are an indication current flow through them is higher than they are rated for. If the heat is concentrated near a connection I'd check the connection first. If the heat is all along the cable I'd start checking for why the excess current flow. It could be just the cables are bad but have a hard time thinking this is happening to both at same time.

/ hot battery cables #3  
First of all
Welcome to TBN
As hard as it may be, take off your battery cables off, on both ends and wire brush them off real clean then tighten to proper torque specs and you should be a happy camper ( tractor owner )
Jim
:)

/ hot battery cables #4  
Welcome to TBN. You are doing just fine.

Seemed like the battery was dead. What was the battery condition? I'm assuming it was okay. If voltage was low, amps come up which would make heat. You mentioned some parts were hotter than others. You have too high of resistance at the hot spots. High resistance makes less of a path for electricity to flow, which creates heat. You may have to get new ends. For the price, I would just get new cables and be done with it, especially because you don't have much experience. You don't need to be chasing problems. Good luck, and let us know how you made out.

/ hot battery cables #5  
hardluck said:
Hey evreybody,
This is the first time I've posted on this site. I didn't cut my teeth on computers, the internet, or any associated technology. So bare with me if I'm not doing this right.
I have a Bolens G274, its a great tractor however I've recently discovered a problem that I don't have any experince with. I was wandering if anybody out there has ever had the same problem and could give me some insight.
The other day I was trying to start the tractor and it seemed like the battry was almost dead. I got off the tractor to take a look at the battery and cables to make sure that they were in good condition. When I grabbed the cables I noticed they were very hot. They ground seemed to be hotter that the positive. Also the point where the ground was connected was very hot.
Does any body have any ideas?
You have bad [hi resistance] connections. Do as Mr Jimi said. If still hot the cable to connector lug crimps are bad. In that case you should probably replace the cables.
larry​