Recycling Christmas Trees

/ Recycling Christmas Trees #1  

DirtyWorks

Silver Member
Tractor
ASV RC-100, '07 272c Cat ,Kubota 080 with Cimaf Head, Cat 257 MTL, JD 450c, Kubota 3440 4wd CUT w/ fel
I have a few ideas to run by you experts. I would like to do a Christmas Tree Recycling event in my town. It has a population of around 2500 people. I figure with a lot of advertising I should be able to get at least 400-600 participants. Any and all sugestions welcome. I would like to just get general public awareness of my company. I am primarily, as most of you know, a mulching, land cleaning business, so the idea of us chipping the trees seems natural. I am thinking of co-oping with the local feed store and the town athletic department. The athletic department could keep all monitary donations for the new feilds and such, the city could have all the chips free for the walking track, parks flower beds etc in exchange for publicity. They would have to haul them though. The role of the feed store would be maby a 50/50 split on the "free" seedligs( about $1.75 each). Here is the preliminary plan. 1. advertise for next few weeks heavy 2. have colection for one week and tree promotion on the Saturday- first come first serve. We would of course chip all the trees through a Vermeer BC1000. Well what do yall think?

/ Recycling Christmas Trees #2  
Might the tinsel people toss on trees cause you some problems?

You might also go around to the places that sell trees and either try and get their business for excess tree removal or if nothing else advertise there for the people buying the trees.

We use to go pick up the excess trees for free but we wanted them whole. We tossed them in the buck pens. It gave the deer something to play with and provided a wind break also during the winter. We only wanted the trees that were not sold though as we didn't want the deer ingesting any decorations.

Your plan sounds like a good idea, what does your town normally do with the trees after Christmas? Ours picks the trees up but I don't know if they have someone mulch them or if they just toss them over on the hill to let them rot like they do with all the other trees and leaves they pick up.

/ Recycling Christmas Trees #3  
Great idea!
Bob

/ Recycling Christmas Trees #4  
I wonder what percentage of the people still use real trees vs. the ones who use the artificial trees that all the stores are selling.

/ Recycling Christmas Trees
According to consumer surveys by the National Christmas Tree Association, 32.8 million trees were purchased during the 2005 holiday season. This means that approximately 28 percent of U.S. households nationwide purchase Real Christmas Trees for display (Source: Wirthlin Worldwide蟷スarris Interactive; U.S. Census Bureau).

Nationally, the recycling rate for existing state and community recycling programs is 69 percent. This can vary greatly based on the size and scope of the recycling program, so you may want to plan for a lower percentage, especially when just starting a new program (Source: Colorado Recycles).

Here is more info -----> Start a Christmas Tree Recycling Program サ Earth 911

Thank for the suggestions guys keep em coming:)

/ Recycling Christmas Trees
   / Recycling Christmas Trees #7  
Most fir trees are deer candy, so I'd stay away from them. Deer seem to avoid norway spruce and scotch pine so they might be good choices.