Depth adjustable middlebuster/subsoiler

/ Depth adjustable middlebuster/subsoiler #1  

charlz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7100D
I have some ditches that need re-pointing as well as some garden I would like to rip up a bit. I like the looks of the Rankin buster/subsoiler as you can adjust the depth of the shank. Since there really aren't any dealers around here I figured I'd just build my own ;)

Heres the parts, some holes drilled already:

middlebuster 001.jpg

The shank cost me $40 the 10" shovel was $20, another $60 in steel ,bolts and pins. The shank is 3/4 by 2.5 inches, a little light compared to what is usually used (1x4") but I figure it will hold up to my 16 horse b7100. It looks to just be a heavy cultivator shank... the kind you use with a 'real' tractor ;) I will either make a subsoiler shoe or buy a cultivator chisel tip for that purpose.

Other materials:

3x2x.25 rectangle tube 20" long (vertical piece)
3x3x.25 square tube 20" long (cross bar piece)
3/8x3x6 flat bar (lower arm pin tabs)
3/8x3x8 flat bar (top link tabs)
3/8x2x6 cold rolled flat bar (shank spacers inside vertical tube)

Since I wanted thick wall tubing I had to go with the 2x3, they probably make different sizes but thats what the steel place had in stock. Since I didn't and the shank to be able to twist I plug welded the two spacers inside at the bottom of the tube, the shank can just barely slide in and out. I had to hand file the seam inside the tube as it was on the side where a spacer goes:

middlebuster 002.jpg
middlebuster 003.jpg

After lots of welding and drilling I have the near-finished product on the tractor for some testing, this is with the shank in the upper position. The two bolts on the side are what hold the shank in position. They should also take some of the stress off the bottom back of the tube. I drilled the holes in the tubing and shank in one shot on my drill press to make sure everything would line up perfectly. I probably could have been a little smarter... I ended up with 4 holes in the shank, 2 for each position, probably could have done just 3 if I had thought it out more in advance.

middlebuster 004.jpg

I went to a garden area and tore it up a little to see how it works. The left and right trenches are the buster, the middle is tire marks... I ripped that garden up with the hoe last fall... it needed it and I hadn't gotten around to building this tool yet :) :

middlebuster 005.jpg

Here is the shovel in the down or 'ditch' position. I got to try it a little but it was getting dark so no pics of the results. One problem I had is when it was really starting to dig the chains on my lift arms would let it twist up. I really need to come up with a better solution for that backhoe seat adapter so my upper arms can come up higher and I can use the solid lift arms done to the lower arms. The tip is just barely off the ground at this setting.

middlebuster 006.jpg

The Rankin doesn't have braces from the upper tube to the cross tube but I think I am going to add some. I have some 5/16x2x6 cold rolled that I bought in case the 3/8 spacers were too thick. I also plan on cutting the top off the shank and welding a cap on the upper tube, don't need rain and stuff getting in there and binding the shank in place. The way the two depth positions work I can cut it down to where it will almost hit the top when the shank is in the up position but still be plenty long for the low/ditch position.

Charles

/ Depth adjustable middlebuster/subsoiler #2  
Well charles, that was quick work! You just finished your narrow bucket and now have your soil buster already done while I'm still procrastinating. I've got to get to the steel shop, an hour away, but I refuse to go to town during the holidaze.
Nice job.

/ Depth adjustable middlebuster/subsoiler
RedDirt said:
Well charles, that was quick work! You just finished your narrow bucket and now have your soil buster already done while I'm still procrastinating. I've got to get to the steel shop, an hour away, but I refuse to go to town during the holidaze.
Nice job.

Well I am off work for two weeks which helps ;) I also know that spring is a busy time with planting gardens etc. so this is the best time to get some of these projects done.

/ Depth adjustable middlebuster/subsoiler #4  
charlz,
Neat tool.
I always enjoy seeing what other guys come up with and those photos were great. That's a really good idea to put those spacers inside that tube like that for a better fit and a much stronger tube.
Guess what, I've been wanting to add those furrowers (3) to my boxblade shanks for a long time now. I bought them to make the modifications over a year ago but never got around to it. I guess I better get with it then.:)
Thanks for sharing your project.

3RRL said:
charlz,
Neat tool.
I always enjoy seeing what other guys come up with and those photos were great. That's a really good idea to put those spacers inside that tube like that for a better fit and a much stronger tube.
Guess what, I've been wanting to add those furrowers (3) to my boxblade shanks for a long time now. I bought them to make the modifications over a year ago but never got around to it. I guess I better get with it then.:)
Thanks for sharing your project.

Thanks for the comments. Are the furrowers on the boxblade to make rows for a garden? I was thinking about making a toolbar to corrugate my corn patch but after looking at the prices of clamps etc. I'd probably end up fabricating a lot of the parts. I'm wondering now if I bought a real narrow furrower if I wouldn't get decent spacing using it and the tire tracks of the tractor, I am going to have to experiment with that one. If the resulting mounds are wide enough I may just put two rows of corn on each one. We flood irrigate so having furrows is a requirement.

Charles

Well I got to try out the 'ditch' position today...worked pretty well. I turned this:

middlebuster 007.jpg

Into this with a little rake work after the plow.

middlebuster 008.jpg

Little hard to tell in the pics but the after is a good 8 inches deeper. I think I need a wider shovel to help cut down on the rake work. Little hairy driving my narrow b7100 down that ditch but it worked out. Decided to do it this morning as we had a good freeze over night which made the ditch banks hard but the bottom wasn't too bad.

I could have worked it out with the hoe but I have found that removing the soil to some where else just makes the ditches get wider, better to roll it up on the sides and keep it narrow so my tractor will fit ;)

Charles