Trusses for a traditional style barn?

/ Trusses for a traditional style barn? #1  

Limecuda

Silver Member
Me and my wife have been considering building a barn on our new property this year. She insists on the traditional looking barn (red white trim etc). I do not want center poles and want an open floorplan for my tractor and musclecars. Anyone experienced with designing these trusses? I see the standard gabled roofs used quite a bit but not the old style. Not many of these styled barns around here. I'm looking at something in the 32x40 40x50 size range 10' walls.

BarnSalmon.jpg

/ Trusses for a traditional style barn? #3  
We built one like that but smaller, 24' X 24' with a 24' X 16' room upstairs with a 7' ceiling.
Jim
:)

Attachments

• backyard testing (20).JPG
    backyard testing (20).JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,090
   / Trusses for a traditional style barn? #4  
You can still buy this style of truss and for the cost I would just buy them instead of trying to design it.

/ Trusses for a traditional style barn? #5  
I built a regular pole barn that was 32x48 with 2' overhangs. Going 32'across was not a problem i sure you can find what you are looking for.

Shane

/ Trusses for a traditional style barn? #6  
   / Trusses for a traditional style barn? #7  
Limecuda said:
Me and my wife have been considering building a barn on our new property this year. She insists on the traditional looking barn (red white trim etc). I do not want center poles and want an open floorplan for my tractor and musclecars. Anyone experienced with designing these trusses? I see the standard gabled roofs used quite a bit but not the old style. Not many of these styled barns around here. I'm looking at something in the 32x40 40x50 size range 10' walls.

BarnSalmon.jpg
I have some plans around here.. If I can find them I'll send you the web site I got them from. I'm thinking if I can buy them, it would be much easier then trying to build them. They're really not that complicated.

Wedge

/ Trusses for a traditional style barn? #8  
Robert_in_NY said:
You can still buy this style of truss and for the cost I would just buy them instead of trying to design it.
You are right on. Buy prefab trusses in this style and then build barn for the size of the truss. They are engineered right and will save a lot of time and labor building each truss.

/ Trusses for a traditional style barn? #9  
radman1 said:
You are right on. Buy prefab trusses in this style and then build barn for the size of the truss. They are engineered right and will save a lot of time and labor building each truss.

And you are covered if the truss fails. If you build your own and make a mistake and your roof collapses you are stuck so unless you are confident in the design and your building skills I would not mess around building my own and I do this for a living.:rolleyes:

/ Trusses for a traditional style barn? #10  
Limecuda said:

BarnSalmon.jpg
Go larger. I recently completed a three bay, 40' x 40' garage with 12' ceilings. It filled up quickly with (just) a pickup truck, Suburban, tractor, and a boat (parked cross way behind my vehicles). My next one will be no less than 60' x 60'. I used engineered trusses and love the open space. You have the right idea there, indeed.

$0.02