how many still own a 55 series deere

/ how many still own a 55 series deere #1  

deere755

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case 2090 Massey Ferguson 4233 John Deere 4700
I have thought about trading in my 755 lately but I have no problems with the one I own, and I really don't put that many hours on it anymore. My son says it is a dinosaur and that we need a new cab tractor. I am just curious how many of you still own a 6,7,8, or 955 and how many hours do you have on it. Are you close to trading or are still happy with it. Some say the 55 series is the best deere ever made. I have noticed they still bring a good price on the lot if you can find one.

/ how many still own a 55 series deere #2  
I'd let my son go off and buy whatever it is he wants. Its his money, don't need Daddy to make a decision like that. While you are at it, suggest he needs his own place to keep it, too (more than a 1 hour drive away would be my first thought).

Best thing would be you buy new, he gets 755 to have and to hold. Maybe he could find a good spouse candidate using it. ('... send picture of tractor...). A good woman would recognize the 755 as a smart investment.

/ how many still own a 55 series deere #3  
Many think the 55 series are some of the best tractors Deere has ever produced. If you decide to upgrade today, the upgrade will be quite different. The HPs of the machines today will be much higher, but the weight and balance will be different too. On paper the 755 should match up well to the 4110 or 2320, but to me, it matches up better with the current 2520.

If you do decide to make a change, then DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE the need for proper ballast! The rules have changed between your 55 series and todays tractors!

/ how many still own a 55 series deere
zzvyb6 said:
I'd let my son go off and buy whatever it is he wants. Its his money, don't need Daddy to make a decision like that. While you are at it, suggest he needs his own place to keep it, too (more than a 1 hour drive away would be my first thought).

Best thing would be you buy new, he gets 755 to have and to hold. Maybe he could find a good spouse candidate using it. ('... send picture of tractor...). A good woman would recognize the 755 as a smart investment.

My son is only 14 so I am not ready for him to move away yet but I will suggest when he gets older that he can buy anything he wants with his money LOL.

/ how many still own a 55 series deere #5  
855 is my first and only tractor so I don't know anything else. It does everything I need to do and I have no thoughts of trading. I've had it for about three years and put approximately 150 hours on it. The tach was replaced when I got it, so I don't know how many hours it has. It runs great though.

If yours does the job, I'd keep it until there is a reason to trade!

/ how many still own a 55 series deere #6  
My 755 has about 880 hours. The only reason I'd think about trading is to treat a case of Want-a-New-Tractor-itis. The fact is, the 755 does everything I need, and has been extremely reliable. The only repair was replacement of the steering valve when it was just out of warranty, so I did that 8 hour or so job myself.

I bought the machine new back in 1991.

/ how many still own a 55 series deere #7  
955 here with ~700 hrs on the clock. Got it used in '01 with 143 hrs on it. It just goes and goes, and, so far, has done everything I've ever asked of it. Hard to beat that!! ;)

I actually had "New-Tractor-itis" one time, but, all the newer ones I looked at were too high to fit through the garage door - in fact, the 955 just BARELY squeezes through there. So, until I get a new garage with a higher door, I guess the 955 will just have to stay. :)

/ how many still own a 55 series deere #8  
My first John Deere was the 855... got it in 1987. It never had problems at all. It was a great tractor. Kept it for 12years! Traded for 2K Less than what we payed for it new! How can you beat that deal? After 12 years of use with close to 1000 hours!

However! then moved up to the JD 4200 HST in 1999. Good Machine.

But when the 3720 Cab Tractor came out! I had to have it Nope I don't miss the 855, or the 4200 at all! The 55's are great machines, I loved them and still do. But they really have come a long way since then IMHO.

The 55's were like an awesome oversized Garden Tractor/Utility Tractor. Very Durable.

The 3720 Cab is like a mercedes with hydraulic limbs that do the work for you!

/ how many still own a 55 series deere #9  
I still have an 855 for doing the mundane chores in and around the horse barn and dragging the arenas...plowing the drives...mowing the yard...nice little tractor

/ how many still own a 55 series deere #10  
deere755 said:
I have thought about trading in my 755 lately but I have no problems with the one I own, and I really don't put that many hours on it anymore. My son says it is a dinosaur and that we need a new cab tractor. I am just curious how many of you still own a 6,7,8, or 955 and how many hours do you have on it. Are you close to trading or are still happy with it. Some say the 55 series is the best deere ever made. I have noticed they still bring a good price on the lot if you can find one.

I was going to trade my 1993 755 for the 3530 cab I got, however after trying the 3520 on my property I realized I needed the smaller tractor for certain jobs. The only issue I have is that my mower deck is deteriorating slowly.

I think they are pretty dependable. I prefer using the 3520 though.