Box Scraper Rear Blade AND Box Blade - one or both

/ Rear Blade AND Box Blade - one or both #1  

canoetrpr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 cab/hyd shuttle - current, Kubota L3400 - traded
I originally ordered a rear blade for driveway work and some light grading around the property. I've since changed my mind and put a box blade on order.

Trying to figure out if I should pick up the rear blade also. I use a snow blower for snow and am quite happy with that. Figure that the extra money is better spent on remotes and TnT rather than having both a rear blade and a box blade.

What do you think?

/ Rear Blade AND Box Blade - one or both #2  
It depends. Do you need to ditch, crown, or cut in level? If yes, then get both. Else, get the box.

/ Rear Blade AND Box Blade - one or both
Gittyup... thats more like a question I need to as you guys.

I have a 300 ft driveway. In an ideal world I would crown it but even the ditches stick out a bit higher than the driveway on one side.

Other than driveway maintenance and extending the driveway another 30 feet to my shop I have no other planned uses for it.

So do I need to ditch and crown?

/ Rear Blade AND Box Blade - one or both #4  
canoetrpr said:
I originally ordered a rear blade for driveway work and some light grading around the property. I've since changed my mind and put a box blade on order.

Trying to figure out if I should pick up the rear blade also. I use a snow blower for snow and am quite happy with that. Figure that the extra money is better spent on remotes and TnT rather than having both a rear blade and a box blade.

What do you think?
If you can swing it get the rear blade, the box blade and the top & tilt.:cool: You will be very happy that you did.:D There are times when a rear blade just works better than a box blade when working on a road. I maintain over 2 miles of dirt roads and I have a rear blade, roll over box blade, landscape rake and a Road Boss road scraper. I use each one for certain requirements and you can get by with only one of the previously mentioned implements to maintain a road. But each one has its strong points.

Just my experience, others will vary, hope that this helps some.

/ Rear Blade AND Box Blade - one or both #5  
The real question is, canoetrpr, where the heck do you keep all your stuff??!!

/ Rear Blade AND Box Blade - one or both #6  
I find I use my box for more for dirt/gravel work and only use my rear blade for snow, so if your happy with the blower, I would say you would be ok without the rear blade. tried the RB in the dirt trying to make a drain swale and just made a big mess, then I put the box on and fixed everything.

Attachments

• PA099997.JPG
    PA099997.JPG
    448.1 KB · Views: 893
  • PA099999.JPG
    PA099999.JPG
    451.4 KB · Views: 698
   / Rear Blade AND Box Blade - one or both #7  
I originally had a rear blade, for no particular reason at the time other than I had never used a boxblade. I soon found the RB lacking, and invested in a BB. Once I discovered the comparative versatility of the BB, I gave away the RB and never looked back. I don't miss it.

//greg//

/ Rear Blade AND Box Blade - one or both #8  
I have over 500' of driveway to keep up. It has about 4 or 5 curves and I use the BB to maintain the driveway then the RB to put the gravel back where it belongs. You tend to push gravel to the edge or beyond where ever you have curves. Or maybe I just drive to fast in the driveway..

Wedge

/ Rear Blade AND Box Blade - one or both
davitk said:
The real question is, canoetrpr, where the heck do you keep all your stuff??!!
David - the brown building on the left is my workshop. Not a bad size for a guy who is not even handy!. I store my tractor and all my implements there. The chain harrow is stored outside.

Attachments

• Barns.jpg
    Barns.jpg
    977.7 KB · Views: 664
   / Rear Blade AND Box Blade - one or both #10  
MtnViewRanch,

Sir,

If you have the time, how about a run-down on what you use each (rear blade, roll over box blade, landscape rake and a Road Boss road scraper) for, and what your experience has been with them?