R1's for 4300

/ R1's for 4300 #1  

Branch

Silver Member
Tractor
4300 JD, Sync Shift
R1\'s for 4300

I have a new 4300 with R4's. My property is very steep in places and also very rocky. My dealer suggested R4's for durability but I just read on another website that the R1's can be moved much further out for stability. Should I change to R1's? If I do what will I be sacrificing?

/ R1's for 4300 #2  
Re: R1\'s for 4300

The only thing I can think of is the R1s are going to tear the ground a little more. If you are using it to mow with that might make a difference. I think I have read here that the R4s are more durable, maybe somebody else knows for sure. Have you put fluid in your tires? That may help stabilize it somewhat.

/ R1's for 4300 #3  

Branch
I think the R-4s are a heavier duty tire than the R-1s. The ones I have seen are 6-ply rating on the R-4s and 4-ply on the R-1s. If you use a loader, backhoe, or other heavy implements you might want to stay with the R-4s. The R-4s also should be more puncture resistant than the R-1s. If you use a mid-mount mower be sure that the R-1s don't interfere with the deck if set in a wider position. I think the R-1s are larger in diameter than the R-4s so any stability gained by setting them wider would be partially offset by raising the center of gravity of the tractor./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif I am planning to buy a 4300 with 430 loader, 48 backhoe, and mid-mount mower and I will be getting the R-4s. I don't have any steep hills on my land though. Good luck. MJB

/ R1's for 4300

I won't be doing any mowing, but have lots of loader and scraper work to do. I do have a lot of sharp rocks, brush etc.. The rear tires are filled. It sounds like the salesman was right. Thanks for the input.

/ R1's for 4300 #5  

Branch I have a JD 990 4wd,my dealer talked me into the R-4s.I thought the R-1s would be better.I now have 13 hours on tractor and brush hog in terrain much like yours.My dealer suggested that I have the tires loaded.All i can say is that he was right on both counts.The R-4s are a tough tire that do a good job at many tasks.Stay SAfe BILLG