Mowing Reverse mowing with 2518

/ Reverse mowing with 2518 #1  

jimhenry

I've searched this forum and can't find how to disengage the reverse safety switch on my 2518. I don't plan to mow in reverse but the constant wear and tear on the PTO can't be good.

/ Reverse mowing with 2518 #2  
Good luck. I have a GT2542 and would like to keep the PTO engaged also. I haven't crawle underneath yet but I'm going to look for a switch activated by the reverse pedal.

/ Reverse mowing with 2518 #3  
I have a 2518 and I did away with the reverse safety switch. If you look under the tractor there is a lever that makes contact with the switch when in reverse. Just bend lever out of the way and now you can mow in reverse. If you should ever want to undo this just bend it back. But I won't be responsible fo any injuries by telling you this. LOL You're on your own.

/ Reverse mowing with 2518 #4  
Disconnecting the connector to the RMC connector disables the reverse switch. This is the connector in the same housing as the key switch. The RMC function is to drop out the PTO for the reverse cut selection option. It does this with a diode inside the RMC module, essentially defeating the reverse switch but without any changing of the switch actuating arm. Simply reconnect to return it to OEM condition. I think it also allows the PTO to continue to operate if the brake switch is locked in position. This may be a safety issue to consider for others operating the machine as now the PTO would need to be manually turned off when leaving the engine running without an operator.
charlie in vt
GT2542
YardKing 42 cut

/ Reverse mowing with 2518 #5  
It was simple on my 2138. I pulled it up on ramps and looked underneath. The lever that contacts the switch has a little hole in it. I ran a zip tie through the hole and around the rod below it. Now the lever cannot hit the switch and I can mow over as many children in reverse as I want!

/ Reverse mowing with 2518 #6  
The dealer did it for me when I bought mine. They told me it was a pain if it wasn't disabled. I didn't ask what they did. i didn't want to know! LOL

Michael

/ Reverse mowing with 2518 #7  
Hey VTCress,

Would it be possible for you to post a Photograph of the RMC Connector and Diode you disconnected? I looked through the parts manual and I can't find anything called an RMC connector.

Thanks,
Steve

/ Reverse mowing with 2518 #8  
I figured it out how to disable the reverse cut out, thanks to everyone on this forum!!

Here's a little more detail on how it's done (The bend the thingy out of the way method.)

Get a pair of pliers or a RoboGrip.

Turn the wheel all the way to the left.

Shut off the mower :) (in case any lawyers are reading this)

Drop the deck as low as you can get it

Get on the ground on the pedal (right) side and look at all of the connecting arms that connect to the transmission.

Rock the reverse pedal back and forth. On the inside of the frame, on the opposite side, look for a ~3 inch long, gold color, triangular shaped piece of metal connected to the steel rod towards the center of the tractor. It moves back and forth as you rock the fwd/rev pedal.

At the end of this triangle is a metal tab that depresses a silver, metal button connected to the frame. This was what cuts out the PTO when you back up. Use your pliers to bend the end of the triangle-shaped piece out of the way enough so the tab no longer contacts the button.

I've only put about 7 hours on my 2518 since I got it (with 123 hours on it) and the connection harness at the end of PTO plunger actually broke from having to restart the PTO everytime I needed to back up a foot or two. For now I have some electrical tape holding the end of the switch to the harness, but this is only temporary. I'll make a separate post about this issue later, but if anyone knows how to permanently fix this I'd appreciate it.

/ Reverse mowing with 2518 #9  
I figured it out how to disable the reverse cut out, thanks to everyone on this forum!!

Here's a little more detail on how it's done (The bend the thingy out of the way method.)

Get a pair of pliers or a RoboGrip.

Turn the wheel all the way to the left.

Shut off the mower :) (in case any lawyers are reading this)

Drop the deck as low as you can get it

Get on the ground on the pedal (right) side and look at all of the connecting arms that connect to the transmission.

Rock the reverse pedal back and forth. On the inside of the frame, on the opposite side, look for a ~3 inch long, gold color, triangular shaped piece of metal connected to the steel rod towards the center of the tractor. It moves back and forth as you rock the fwd/rev pedal.

At the end of this triangle is a metal tab that depresses a silver, metal button connected to the frame. This was what cuts out the PTO when you back up. Use your pliers to bend the end of the triangle-shaped piece out of the way enough so the tab no longer contacts the button.

I've only put about 7 hours on my 2518 since I got it (with 123 hours on it) and the connection harness at the end of PTO plunger actually broke from having to restart the PTO everytime I needed to back up a foot or two. For now I have some electrical tape holding the end of the switch to the harness, but this is only temporary. I'll make a separate post about this issue later, but if anyone knows how to permanently fix this I'd appreciate it.

I jumped out the reverse switch. Here's how:

Reverse Mowing for 2000 (2165, 2166, 2176,2185 and others) Series how-to - TractorByNet.com

/ Reverse mowing with 2518 #10  
I disabled the "IDIOT SWITCH" on my 2176 by simply unplugging it. On the 3186 I wanted to have the backup lights so I removed the switch and cut the wires...soldered the "break" wires together and the other two put on a toggle switch for when I want my reverse lighting to work....simple but time consuming on the 3186.