SoilMover - Scraper

/ SoilMover - Scraper #1  

trrjohn

Tractor
John Deere -420's & 455's
I acquired a SoilMover-Scraper copied and built by MJ from an original SoilMover sold as allied equipment for John Deere garden tractors in the late 1960's. The roll-over bowl style scraper was raised and lowered by a rear hitch on the tractor. A cable hooked to the tractor, operated the apron (gate) to open and close the scraper bowl.

After trying it out, I was dis-satisfied with the apron control and decided to rebuild the apron controlto be operated by hydraulics. I have a John Deere 420 which has 3 hydraulic functions, including a three point hitch and two other controls. I removed all of the cable mechanism and sat down at the CAD system and designed a new actuator.

The 36" wide scraper has an approximate 1/3 cu. yd capacity and fill in 15 to 20 feet. The new hydraulic gate control can spread from 1-2" to 4" deep and is now easily controlled.

Attachments

• Hydscraperredu.jpg
    Hydscraperredu.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,719
  • apron in operation.jpg
    apron in operation.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,181
  • sideview scraper.jpg
    sideview scraper.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,197
  • scraper test april 6.jpg
    scraper test april 6.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,250
  • side view loading.jpg
    side view loading.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,275
  • Hydroapronconst.jpg
    Hydroapronconst.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,195
  • Overall hyd dump.JPG
    Overall hyd dump.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 1,011
   / SoilMover - Scraper
This is what is looked like before hydraulic apron control. Note the cable attached to the upper 3 point hitch.

Attachments

• cable operator redu.JPG
    cable operator redu.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,597
  • 0230cropredu.JPG
    0230cropredu.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 1,141
   / SoilMover - Scraper #3  
That is great! Have you found that you can control the digging depth easily? You control that with the 3pt? Since the dump is mechanical rollover function, how do you control the spread of the dirt? I know that the apron would hold it back, but it would still dump with the bowl upside-down.

Great mod to a useful "toy."

Mike

/ SoilMover - Scraper
The cutting edge of the bowl rolls over to a dump position stop. By gauging the height of the 3 point, you control the height of the cutting edge, which controls the depth of the spread of the material. It takes a little practice, but you can spread form 1 to 4" deep, depending on the material your moving.

Attachments

• Hydscraperredu.jpg
    Hydscraperredu.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 622
   / SoilMover - Scraper #5  
John- Very nice .... Any chance you can post some larger pics?

/ SoilMover - Scraper
Thanks,
I posted several larger pictures as requested. Anything specific you would like to see?

Cutting edge is 36" wide.
Holds approximately 1/3 cu. yd. heaped.
Can spread from 1 to 4 inches in depth - depends on the operator and the soil.

Also removed the bowl trip rope and added a cable and a trip latch lever - see the last (right) picture. The trip rope doesn't "cut the corner" now, so you can dump going around a corner.

John

Attachments

• soilmover01.JPG
    soilmover01.JPG
    242.5 KB · Views: 4,246
  • soilmover02.JPG
    soilmover02.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 828
  • soilmover03.JPG
    soilmover03.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 1,741
  • soilmover04.JPG
    soilmover04.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 1,611
  • soilmover05.JPG
    soilmover05.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,034
Last edited:
   / SoilMover - Scraper #7  
Thanks John for the larger pics. How much trouble does that tractor have pulling the scraper? Does it hang up "scooping" up the sod? It seems like it works pretty well.

/ SoilMover - Scraper #8  
trrjohn said:
I acquired a SoilMover-Scraper copied and built by MJ from an original SoilMover sold as allied equipment for John Deere garden tractors in the late 1960's. The roll-over bowl style scraper was raised and lowered by a rear hitch on the tractor. A cable hooked to the tractor, operated the apron (gate) to open and close the scraper bowl.

After trying it out, I was dis-satisfied with the apron control and decided to rebuild the apron controlto be operated by hydraulics. I have a John Deere 420 which has 3 hydraulic functions, including a three point hitch and two other controls. I removed all of the cable mechanism and sat down at the CAD system and designed a new actuator.

The 36" wide scraper has an approximate 1/3 cu. yd capacity and fill in 15 to 20 feet. The new hydraulic gate control can spread from 1-2" to 4" deep and is now easily controlled.

Very cool. I want one.

Paul

/ SoilMover - Scraper
The tractor is an old JD 420 with a replacement 24hp Honda engine. Traction is not a problem with reasonable - 1-3" cuts. I haven't tried it in solid sod yet - too wet. I believe that it will work best if you scarify the sod first - BUT I will let you know in several weeks. It loads a heaping scraper in 15 to 20 feet in a mix of weeds, clumps of grass and moist earth. I also will try pulling it with my JD 455 diesel.
John

/ SoilMover - Scraper #10  
Yes John thanks for the larger pics. I would love to have something like that to move some sand around here. Better than a wheelbarrow anytime!!

Mike