BX24 digging force

/ BX24 digging force #1  

jgjones

Might anyone know of a method to measure the "digging force" of a backhoe bucket? Reason I ask is that my BX24 *seems* to not have as much "umph" as when it was new (about 108 hours ago.) I may be totally wrong, because the dealer checked the pressures and found everything was spot on normal. But I'd still like to get a direct measurement at the business end of the system, so to speak. :)

The manual says the maximum digging force exerted by the backhoe bucket is 1936 lbs. Thought there might be some ingenious way to actually measure that, similar to how a bathroom scale and a bit of math can allow you to measure the weight of a boat on a trailer.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

-James

/ BX24 digging force #2  
Are you having problems with the bucket cylinder only or the whole hydraulic system for the hoe? If you are only having problems with the bucket cylinder you might have a cylinder that is actually blowing by from the back into the rod end. If thats happening the internal seals are shot on the piston. Checking the system pressure will do nothing if this is happening.

Craig

/ BX24 digging force #4  
bx23barry said:
All ya need is a "big" fish scale.:cool:

I was going to say the same thing. Have someone hold onto the bathroom scale and you just curl the bucket. Wallah you got what your looking for.:)
The Gotcha Man