Snapper

/ Snapper #1  

czechsonofagun

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B1750
Dogs were excited and I had to check it out - this is what I found in the grass.

Attachments

• DSCN4397.jpg
    DSCN4397.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 231
   / Snapper
When i grabbed it, it was not happy. Well, if somebody got me by the tail,I am sure I would be seriously pi$$ed too:)

Attachments

• DSCN4398.jpg
    DSCN4398.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 197
  • DSCN4399.jpg
    DSCN4399.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 230
   / Snapper #3  
Interesting pictures! Although it is a small snapper I would caution you on picking up larger ones. We had a woman in town feel sorry for one that was in the roadway and decided to pick it up and move it. Well as she started reaching down the turtle snapped and took off one of her fingers.

/ Snapper #4  
Those suckers are quick, even on land. On your second picture I can see 10 "snacks" sticking out of those flip flops that it would enjoy. I almost kicked a snapper a few years ago walking around our pond, he was on the bank sunning itself, covered with algie. Had a snapper grab a leg/foot of one of our domestic geese and it was flopping around, had I not heard the commotion, we would have been one less goose. I ran down to see what was going on, saw the turtle on the goose's leg/foot, ran up and got the gun, and the goose (for some reason) swam over to the bank where I was and I was able to shoot the turtle between the eyes, felt like a team effort. Goose was injured but not as bad as I first thought.

Be VERY careful with these creatures!!!

/ Snapper
I was amazed how far it can whip the neck backwards - while it was trying to get me.
I remember once stopped traffic, b/c huge snapper was moving across and two cops trying to direct it with a stick. That thing would launch itself several feet forward.

/ Snapper #6  
czech,
Yours looks viscous and doesn't like the dog?
Yes they are fast and it makes a weird noise when they're neck whips out, you can even hear them snap when they are under water.
I pulled this one out of the local park's pond, the kids catch little sun fish off the bridge and the snappers steal them if the kid doesn't reel them in fast enough, I just lured him in close to the bridge and grabbed him/her by the tail, you can see he didn't want to give up his fish dinner. I pulled an even bigger one than this but didn't have a camera, I could hardly lift him out of the water.
Does anyone know if you can eat these things?

JB,

Attachments

• P6236828.JPG
    P6236828.JPG
    384.4 KB · Views: 177
  • P6236830.JPG
    P6236830.JPG
    414.4 KB · Views: 175
   / Snapper #7  
I've heard of people eating them. Supposed to be good meat if you can get up the courage to actually skin it out. Softshell turtles are supposed to be good to eat, too.

/ Snapper #8  
JB4310 said:
Does anyone know if you can eat these things?

JB,

Absolutely! You can eat them and they are really good when fixed properly. When I was in the US Navy and stationed in Philly, I used to eat snapper soup at a diner in South Philly at least once a week. Here is a link to a recipe.

Bookbinder's Snapper Soup

/ Snapper #9  
As a kid we would fight with the soft shells. Every place you are holding those snappers...a soft shell can get you with the long neck. Mean suckers.

Rob

/ Snapper
JB, that's a SNAPPER!! I usually dont bother them, but I dont want them in my pond mixing with stocked bass and cats.