Changing Hydraulic Filters on M series

/ Changing Hydraulic Filters on M series #1  

derekuk101

Bronze Member
Tractor
M5-111, M8540, M4900, Ford 3600
How much hydraulic oil will I lose when I try and just change the filters on a M8540? I don't want to change the oil, but I know a lot will come out when I take the old filters off.

Thanks!

/ Changing Hydraulic Filters on M series #2  
I had an M8950 that I think is the same engine and I lost two quarts which was the capacity of the filter. I always changed the oil at the same time so i didn't pay real close attention.
I think there is a magnet where the filter screws on so if you have that wipe off any filings of metal. I usually had some.

/ Changing Hydraulic Filters on M series #3  
I plan to soon change my Hyd oil filters on my 7040 (between fluid changes) I bought a gal and just will fill up the filters before install, then top up if necessary. 2 qts sounds about right BTW I'm going to park it on a slope with the filters uphill, hence (in theory) won't lose much in the replacement Haven't tried that method yet, but makes sence. Otherwise, you could lose a fair amount if you fumble around like me bb

/ Changing Hydraulic Filters on M series #4  
And yes, as 6 dogs says, clean the magnet (esp on a new rig)....all the more reason to park on a slope if it's just the filter change. Finally bought a hand pump for a 5 gal bucket for the fill, much easier on a 15 gal (my case) refill. bb