Backhoe Subframe for a backhoe - how to get one

/ Subframe for a backhoe - how to get one #1  

zkurtb

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
Hi all,
A newbie here, I've been reading the posts quite a bit since last summer, a great help in my tractor education. Many Thanks!

I've located a used Woods 7500 backhoe but it is a 3pt mount, does not have a subframe. I've read all the discussions on the importance of a subframe and am convinced. I'm wonder what is the best method to come up with a subframe. I've contacted the local Woods dealer who will check on availability and get back to me. I suppose the other option is fabrication. Any other ideas? By the way it will go on a Kubota L4200.

Thanks,
Kurt

/ Subframe for a backhoe - how to get one #2  
I bought a used Woods 7500 Backhoe that was set up for 3 point hitch use. Went to my local New Holland dealer (who also happens to be a Woods dealer) and had them order me a Woods "4 point Hitch" subframe to fit my NH tractor. They mounted it for me. Conversion from 3 point hitch to subframe was simple... they just unbolted some parts from the backhoe, and bolted on the part that mates to the subframe.

If Woods makes a subframe to fit your tractor, you should have no problem.

John Mc

/ Subframe for a backhoe - how to get one
Thanks for the info. Great find of the manuals on the Woods site.

Do backhoes typically come with both 3pt and subframe mounting points? Since the one I am considering is set up for 3pt, I wonder whether it will have the mount points to the subframe.

For the real naive question - when a backhoe is mounted on a subframe, since according to the Woods manual to mount the subframe to the tractor the 3pt lower lift arms (draw bars) are removed, how does it get lifted to hook to the tractor - are the upper lift arms of the 3pt somehow still used to do this?

/ Subframe for a backhoe - how to get one #5  
zkurtb said:
Thanks for the info. Great find of the manuals on the Woods site.

Do backhoes typically come with both 3pt and subframe mounting points? Since the one I am considering is set up for 3pt, I wonder whether it will have the mount points to the subframe.

For the real naive question - when a backhoe is mounted on a subframe, since according to the Woods manual to mount the subframe to the tractor the 3pt lower lift arms (draw bars) are removed, how does it get lifted to hook to the tractor - are the upper lift arms of the 3pt somehow still used to do this?

• Backhoes usually have either a 3pt or subframe - not both. I think Woods hoes all have bolt on mounting kits.
  • Once you're close enough to connect the hydraulic hoses the backhoe can be moved/lifted with the outriggers & boom. MikeD74T

/ Subframe for a backhoe - how to get one #6  
I do not have to take the drawbars of the 3pt hitch off my Kioti CK30HST to mount Woods BH80x backhoe with woods subframe.

Just make sure 3pt bars are in HIGHEST position when backhoe is on, that way they cannot damage anything by being accidently activated to LIFT. Which I understand makes a terrible mess.

Mike

/ Subframe for a backhoe - how to get one #7  
zkurtb said:

it is not too difficult in that the BH has its own hydraulics. Just hook the hyd up to the BH and raise it with the outriggers-you can even twist it a bit with the swing function for alignment and tip it with the boom.

O that all attachments would have their own hydlaulic to aid in hook up.

Mike

/ Subframe for a backhoe - how to get one
Well, I am now the proud owner of the 7500. Can't wait to start getting familiar with it.

Got a response from the dealer, the subframe is still available -- for $1300. Ouch. For that proce I'd rather spend shop time and make one...when things slow down, maybe this winter. In the mean time I'll have to use it gently via the 3pt mount.

/ Subframe for a backhoe - how to get one #9  
You might want to shop around, I paid $800, including delivery to the dealer, for a Woods subframe for my DK45S last summer. If you build your own download the manual for the engineering. MikeD74T

/ Subframe for a backhoe - how to get one #10  
MikeD74T said:
You might want to shop around, I paid $800, including delivery to the dealer, for a Woods subframe for my DK45S last summer.

The price of steel has doubled since November '07. I don't see it coming back down anytime soon. (I work for a company whose raw material is 4000# coils of steel rod... we follow the market pretty closely.)

John Mc