93" Caroni Finish Mower Any Good???

/ 93" Caroni Finish Mower Any Good??? #1  

coastalguy

Looking at the one Agri Supply has for $1,800.

93 ESTATE MOWER LIFT TYPE 5 BLADE REAR - Agri Supply

That is fairly cheap for that size. Just curious how they hold up, especially one of that size.

I am torn between the Caroni 93" finish mower or a used flail mower (around 84" or better)

The Caroni would be a lot easier since I would simply order it and wait.

Finding a used flail mower in decent shape and getting to SC may be a little difficult. Also I would like to have the mower as soon as possible to cut 5 acres.

Thoughts?

/ 93" Caroni Finish Mower Any Good??? #2  
people seem to like the caroni flail mower here, but I've no idea if it cuts finish as well as a finish mower.

/ 93" Caroni Finish Mower Any Good???
Yes I have been on the flail thread and they seem to be smitten with the Caroni.

$1,800 seems VERY cheap for a 93" finish mower.

BUT.... I dont need a heavy duty mower. Its just grass but I have a lot of it.

/ 93" Caroni Finish Mower Any Good??? #4  
CoastalGuy.

You should take some time and read the discussion thread "Lets talk flail mowers". There is more information there than you could ever imagine. It has been one of the larger posted threads as of late.

scuvnut said:
CoastalGuy.

You should take some time and read the discussion thread "Lets talk flail mowers". There is more information there than you could ever imagine. It has been one of the larger posted threads as of late.

I am interested in the Caroni ROTARY finish mower NOT the FLAIL just to be clear.

/ 93" Caroni Finish Mower Any Good??? #6  
Sorry about that. You should still read the flail board...I've used a rotary for years and went to a flail based on all hte information on that board - the flail is a way better piece of equipment.

Alot of people buy that Caroni flail for around $2K so the money is still about the same, although the cut width is a bit smaller.

P

/ 93" Caroni Finish Mower Any Good??? #7  
I looked at a Caroni finish mower at a TSC. They seemed sturdier than the other yellow floor models. This was between the time I ordered my Caroni and having it delivered. After looking over the Caroni finish mower, I felt okay knowing that if the flail was as good as the finish mower, I would like the flail. I'm happy with the flail.

/ 93" Caroni Finish Mower Any Good??? #8  
Coastalguy,
I have a 6 ft Caroni which I have used for about 7 years now. The only things wrong with it is due to my mistake when I bought it ... those are 1. It is a side discharge and therefore leaves windrows and 2, I did not get the pneumatic lawn tires ... I have changed the blades once and have the original belts ... it has served me well ... well worth the money ... cuts great!
Leo

/ 93" Caroni Finish Mower Any Good??? #9  
coastalguy said:
Looking at the one Agri Supply has for $1,800.

93 ESTATE MOWER LIFT TYPE 5 BLADE REAR - Agri Supply

That is fairly cheap for that size. Just curious how they hold up, especially one of that size.

I am torn between the Caroni 93" finish mower or a used flail mower (around 84" or better)

The Caroni would be a lot easier since I would simply order it and wait.

Finding a used flail mower in decent shape and getting to SC may be a little difficult. Also I would like to have the mower as soon as possible to cut 5 acres.

Thoughts?

Is it lawn you are cutting or field grass? Is it slopey or flat?

if it is a huge lawn the large finish mower for that price is a good buy
That is huge for the money.

Its what I call "field lawn" ie very short cut weeds (mostly bermuda) that looks good from a distance.

It is fairly flat and I understand there may be more scalping with a wider deck.

I do enjoy seat time but with 2 young kids and a full time job and as quick as the grass grows during the summer, I would like to minimize cutting grass.

I still have to weed eat around the house after that lol!