Oil & Fuel octane fuel

/ octane fuel #1  

lexus114

Tractor
06 LT-1045 LE (v-twin)
I have a 2006 LT1045 LE (v-twin) I use 89 octane fuel in it,anyone else have an opinion re;this?

/ octane fuel #2  
All it needs is regular. Save your money..

/ octane fuel #3  
All higher octane does is slow down combustion in high compression engines to prevent detonation. Your Cub does not have high enough compression to require anything other than 87 octane. In some cases using higher octane than necessary can actually cause you to use more fuel. I proved this several times in my antique 1958 Harley Davidson motorcycle. It has low compression like 7:1 or lower (I don't remember offhand). When I used regular gas I consistently got 35 mpg. When I used premium I dropped to 33 mpg. I tried this enough times to eliminate other variables. My theory was that the higher octane retarded the combustion rate enough that the gas didn't complete its combustion before the piston reached the bottom of its stroke. Maybe I'm all wet but I'll swear to the mileage difference.

Bob B.

/ octane fuel #4  
Bob is right. I have to use premium in my 96 Harley. It has 10.5:1 compression. Anything less and I get detonation.

I was using mid grade in my new GMC til I read the owners manual. Says to use 87 octane. Dang thing runs better and gets better gas mileage.

/ octane fuel #5  
lexus114 said:
I have a 2006 LT1045 LE (v-twin) I use 89 octane fuel in it,anyone else have an opinion re;this?

Read your manuel.. I bet it says 87 octane.

/ octane fuel #6  
=====================================================================================================
Fuel Type

For best results, use only clean, fresh, unleaded gasoline with a pump sticker octane rating of 87 or higher. In countries using the Research method, it should be 90 octane minimum.

Maintenance Tips - Maintenance - Service - Kohler Engines
=====================================================================================================

Research Method (R+M)/2=Octane Rating [Pump Stickers]

87 octane
89 octane
93 octane

Which one meets the minimum octane for your engine?

Note: Kohler CH23 engine in 2006 Cub Cadet GT3100

Last edited:
   / octane fuel
Your right I am using regular unleaded now,runs just fine. Thanx for the replies.

/ octane fuel #9  
Even the "greedy mean old" oil companies will tell you it is a waste of money to put in a higher than minimum octane.

Octane is determined by the compression ratio of the engine.

I know lots of people who insist that this is not the case, their car runs better, and they get much better mileage, if they use midgrade or preimum. :eek:

Remember what P.T. Barnum said. :D

/ octane fuel #10  
I agree with the above except if you live in a state that requires the use of ethanol in the fuel. my 3184 ran like sh_t until I "upgraded" to 91 non-oxygenated fuel- now it runs like the sweet thang it is;)