question about implements and inclinometers

/ question about implements and inclinometers #1  

splat55

Hey gang,
Okay, I may be getting ahead of myself here....since I won't have a tractor until tomorrow....but, while I've got these questions in my head, I thought I'd ask them now. After tomorrow I may not have time to sit at the PC cause I'll hopefully be working on the tractor. Oh, btw, the tractor my questions are about is a YM 240D with 3pt and pto.
Okay, first, is there a BH that will work on my tractor...and work relatively well. I really only want to use it for trenching mostly. Is there one that any of you guys recommend and can they be found used? Anybody in northern Cal know of any used units or dealers that may sell used equiptment like this? Same question about augers and wood splitters. I'll be in the market for these attachments fairly soon after getting the tractor home.
My other question has to do with saftey. I saw a pic of a tractor a little while back....and it looked like it had a clinometer..or inclinometer, depending on which side of the tracks your from. Anyway, it didn't look anything like the cheezy units we put in our 4X4's up here and are the first thing we take our anger out on when we bust an axle or u-joint. So, does anyone use them on tractors here? Our property is steeper in some places than others, and I can't even guess at the degree of steepness or angle, I'm just no good at it. But, I'd sure feel better, I think, if I had something like that on my tractor. I'll be using the ROPS that comes with the tractor although not installed yet but just want to get your ideas on what to use if they are used at all. And also, is there way to figure what my particular tractor and me on it can safely tackle as far as tilt? I'm probably not using the correct termonolgy at all, but I am sure you guys know what I'm talkin' about....I don't wanna tip my tractor on the side, let alone roll it belly up. Any help on this stuff is appreciated.
Brian

/ question about implements and inclinometers #2  
Not sure about the BH for your tractor (240D). there mabe an after market BH that you can purchase.......augers ,,, wood spliters,,, etc, you can purchase just about any place that sells tractor attachments. I always use my ROPS in the up position with the seat belt around me. As for the tilt meter. I don't use one. I can look at a hill or grade & tell it's too steep to tackle from the side. I will either back up the grade or drive down it ( if not too steep) You could fill your rear tires to help some what

Last edited:
   / question about implements and inclinometers #3  
Can't answer about the backhoe... never could justify the expense of one for what I nedd...

As far as the inclinometer, a number of people seem to have them... use of a tractor is a really dynamic thing based on what you are doing and where.... my fear of paying much attention to one would be getting a false sense of security about how stable my machine really is... a rock or a rut, or a bump... having a loader, hoe, or loaded spreader high... that "safe" reading no longer would apply...

You'll in all likelihood feel your built in inclinometer start going off before you tip over... just remember to go "low & slow" & turn downhill once you feel it though your spine, to the top of your head & all extremities!:D

/ question about implements and inclinometers #4  
Welcome to TBN.

You can buy a 3 point BH and fab. a subframe for it. Its not to hard to do if you have rops and a loader on it. I have heard that some or all of the Chinese BH's have, and give problems.

You mentioned getting ROPS, It should come with, and always be used with a seat belt. Good Luck and Be Safe.

/ question about implements and inclinometers #5  
I think used backhoes tend to be hard to find. But as for the inclinometer, you know one of Tractorbynet's members and sponsors is Rick at R&B Manufacturing. You can read this article by the owner of Tractorbynet if you wish. And it does sound like you may have seen one of Rick's tiltmeters; much better quality in my opinion that the ones I've seen for RVs and some other applications. I had two on my B2710; one for side to side and one for front to rear. Of course you can also go directly to the website of R&B Mfg. if you wish.

/ question about implements and inclinometers #6  
I'd recommend the R&B inclinometers, though not the dual direction ones. Worth getting for various reasons, you'll find.

Over 15 degrees is generally bad, and very much to be avoided. Over 10 degrees and you should be doing everything sloooowly to avoid dynamic rollover.

Get your wheels loaded. And wear the seatbelt and keep the rops up. And read the lots of very good advice on here.

/ question about implements and inclinometers #7  
On the low $ end, Lane Tractor in Los Molinas (between Chico & Red Bluff) carries a (new) Chineese BH that may fit your tractor. It is a TPH style. $3000 to $3500, can't remember exact cost. Fairly crude fabrication but looks beefy. I have not operated one.

Many factors can influence the tipping forces on a tractor. Many of the forces are dynamic and are changing as we work the machine. An operator needs to be alert to these and adjust his procedures accordingly.

Center of gravity is the most obvious. On a side hill keep FEL loads low, swing a BH bucket uphill not downhill, etc. Tractor speed, tire pressure and firmness of ground are also factors. "Low and Slow" is a good motto when learning side hill work. ROPS up and seat belt on.

/ question about implements and inclinometers
Hey kenmac, browns40, Lasgambler, Bird, Charlesaf3 & ReDirt,
Good, smart info from all of you. Thanks. I'm going to be going " low and slow " pretty much all the time, but more so as I come to anything with an incline. And I won't be going anywhere until I get the ROPS mounted. I didn't find until after the purchase that the mounts for the ROPS were missing....also any seat belts. But I'm working on getting it all together. It sounds like, in most posts here, that the inclinometers have a place on a tractor....but not to rely totally on them because of all the changing factors. I'll probably end up putting one on just to have a base idea of things, but then as stated here....use my own judgement and " pucker " meter as to just how far to push the envelope. Thanks again. I just got the tractor, and it's my first....and today I'm just going to be trying to resolve some issues with the way it's running, starter issues...mostly minor stuff. But I'm sure I will have more questions and will be back with those shortly.