How long can diesel be stored?

/ How long can diesel be stored? #1  

radman1

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 4520, Toolcat 5610, Bobcat S300, Case-IH 125 Pro, Case-IH 245, IH 1086, IH 806
I bought a 500 gal diesel tank with electric pump. The tank seems to be in good to very good condition. I would estimate it has about 50 gal of non-off raod (no dye) diesel in the tank. The fuel looks good but is about 1.5 years old. Can it still be used? Add some supplement? Just put more fuel in the tank?

/ How long can diesel be stored? #2  
radman1 said:
I bought a 500 gal diesel tank with electric pump. The tank seems to be in good to very good condition. I would estimate it has about 50 gal of non-off raod (no dye) diesel in the tank. The fuel looks good but is about 1.5 years old. Can it still be used? Add some supplement? Just put more fuel in the tank?
How long will 500 gallon last you.
Sounds like you got a good deal.
Did the fuel filter hoses and nozzle come with it?

/ How long can diesel be stored?
It has the hose, nozzle and filter. I plan to change the filter. I don't think the nozzle is auto shut off and may also change that. We have 2 old semi trucks that we use to haul grain. They don't get a lot of mileage but need highway diesel for them. Currently we have to stop at fuel stations and it is not always convenient, especially when loaded with 600 bushels of grain. I doubt if the semi's use much more than 500 gallon/year. Even the semi's sit with the same fuel in them for months until harvest time or selling grain. The last 20K bushels we sold were trucked in by a trucking company. We actually got a better price selling them 50 miles away than locally. The price difference pays for most of the trucking cost and all we had to do was fill the trucks and didn't need to drive or use our equipment. With the constant increase in diesel price, it could be easy to save $$ by buying now and using it later.

Thinking about getting diesel p/u in the future but still on wish list. My 1999 F250 V10 gas burner just works too well, is in great condition and has been very reliable.

The price of the pump, hose and nozzle is about $330 new. I may have a great deal if safe to use the existing fuel. The seller said it had a little fuel left in it but I don't think he realized how much.

/ How long can diesel be stored? #4  
My diesel car was stored with a full tank for 4 1/2 years. Started it and ran that tank out. Started to ping at constant speed. A treatment of Chevron RedLine fixed it up. Had to use this stuff right after buying it at one year old. Had been sitting on the showroom floor a little bit at that time.

I'd use it but treat it with Chevron RedLine (or is it Techron?). Just ask a service station person at a truck stop for some.

Ralph

/ How long can diesel be stored? #5  
Run it through a Mr Funnel

Mr. Funnel

And mix it with some fresh diesel. One to one.

Bob

/ How long can diesel be stored? #6  
I would install a filter on the pump if it doesn't already have one and run it.

I've used additives in the past, but I don't think they do anything. Many will disagree.

/ How long can diesel be stored? #7  
I know that most people will think that I am nuts, but earlier this year my brother was given an old Mack truck. It had over 80 gallons of diesel in it that was over 20 years old. I just finished burning that fuel last month. I had mixed it at a 1-1 ratio with new fuel and had no problems. Both of us have used diesel that was over 10 years old before with no known consequences, and that was straight with no mixing of new fuel or additives. So yes, I think that it will be alright to use your fuel.

/ How long can diesel be stored? #8  
Change the filter, add some power service and run it. There's nothing wrong with it. If your going to order more fuel, mix it with it. If the tank is going to sit for long periods, look into getting a hydrosorb type filter that will specifically remove any water and add some bio-con additive to the tank from time-to-time to deal with any bacteria.

Here's a link with more fuel equipment/filters than you can shake a stick at. Cim-Tek 200 Series Fuel Filter

Good luck.

/ How long can diesel be stored? #9  
I have a 300 gallon tank and keep fuel in it for 1.5 years no problem with a Power Serve added. I would just get some additive and have it topped off with fresh diesel then change the filter and go.

Chris

/ How long can diesel be stored?
Thanks for the info guys. I plan to just use it. I will add some new fuel and supplement.