Stuck Clutch YM1500

/ Stuck Clutch YM1500 #1  

Bob85355

Tractor
Yanmar 1500
Yesterday checked the oil & water and got ready to move some compost with my YM1500. Hadn't been on it for a few weeks. Oh! Oh! Clutch is stuck. Put a new one in less than 3 years ago. There's no rain and darn little humidity here in central Arizona. Nevertheless, the clutch is stuck. It'll start in neutral and it'll start while in gear. Helps if the FEL and 3 pt are up.

What to do? Searched the TBN forum and also googled "Tractor Stuck Clutch", similar advice on all queries.

Adjusted the linkage and started it in reverse. Backed it up about 40 feet and shut it down. Started it in 3rd gear about 1600 RPM and at speed depressed the clutch and dropped the box blade with scarifiers down. Good old heavy box blade weighted with 3 concrete filled cinder blocks. Took about five drops to get it clear on all gears.

I don't understand why the disk should adhere to the flywheel absent moisture, but, I'm sure going to block that clutch pedal down from now on.

Bob
Central Arizona

/ Stuck Clutch YM1500 #2  
I don't understand why the disk should adhere to the flywheel

I have always wondered that too. I don't have to block the pedal down on my car and it sets years at a time. Why does a Yanmar clutch stick, sometimes, overnight?

Aaron
Parts@HoyeTractor.com
(940)592-0181

/ Stuck Clutch YM1500 #3  
I put a 2x4 under my clutch pedal every time I park it for any length of time

/ Stuck Clutch YM1500 #4  
k this is what I had to do on my shibaura s700 when I first got it. It had been sitting for years outside the guy I got it from said he used it one day then it would not start the next so he left it were he parked it for about 2 years. The clutch was almost welded on the flywheel!!!! I pulled the rubber plug off the bell housing and just started to spray PB Blaster in a few times a day. After it set about a week like that I took a long pry bar and tried to loosen it from the fly wheel. After about a month of doing this one day it just broke loose. After it was loose I hooked a disc up to it and drooped it down and did some pulling. After a few hours it was working just fine.

/ Stuck Clutch YM1500 #5  
Up here in the dampness of western washington this happens to us on dozers, jeeps and anything else that gets moisture in them. What we do is use the highest gear, hold the clutch down, lots of throttle and use the brakes, hopefully the engine will break it free. Some break free by just romping on the accelerator and backing off, the torquing and releasing while holding the cluch in will loosen it.
by the way, using the highest gear puts less strain on the drive system, if you use the lower gears, it passes more torgue to the output shafts of the tranny, but doesn't put anymore strain on the clutch.

/ Stuck Clutch YM1500 #6  
I had a similar problem, searched the forums, tried the posted solutions, but no luck. Ramming into dirt piles (and a tree by accident) etc. didn't free my clutch.

I started splitting the tractor to get at the clutch and found an inspection hole/vent near the clutch disk. It was covered by a screen. I removed the screen and inserted an old paring knife between the clutch driven-disk and the flywheel and it popped loose very easily.

If your tractor has such an inspection hole/vent, it would probably be somewhere just a little forward of the joint where the transmission mates with the engine, and probably in an area protected from rain or dirt. Mine was on the side but behind a shroud.

/ Stuck Clutch YM1500 #7  
my hashimoto tractor has a little lever to set the clutch

/ Stuck Clutch YM1500 #8  
shimp said:
my hashimoto tractor has a little lever to set the clutch

So does my 1510D. Take a look around your clutch and see if you can find one. It hooks to the bottom of the floor board to keep the clutch down.