kk subsoiler/middle buster

/ kk subsoiler/middle buster #1  

mattellis2

Bronze Member
i've been looking at possibly buying the king kutter subsoiler that my local tractor supply has. after looking at it, it looks like it has the same basic frame geometry as the middlebuster plow that is also there. i'm curious...could i buy some 14" sweeps, drill and tap the subsoiler tooth, and have both for the basically the price of one? has anyone tried this modification?

thanks,

-matt

/ kk subsoiler/middle buster #2  
You can do a search, but I think I have read here that the subsoiler tip, and middlebuster tip both have the same bolt pattern. I'm going to be checking that out myself sometime later this summer. Keep us posted with what you find.

/ kk subsoiler/middle buster #3  
mattellis2 said:
i've been looking at possibly buying the king kutter subsoiler that my local tractor supply has. after looking at it, it looks like it has the same basic frame geometry as the middlebuster plow that is also there. i'm curious...could i buy some 14" sweeps, drill and tap the subsoiler tooth, and have both for the basically the price of one? has anyone tried this modification?

thanks,

-matt

I have KK's subsoiler/middlebuster XB combo that I bought from TSC for use with my Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto).

DSCF0062-small.jpg

The hole pattern on the MB plow and the subsoiler are identical.

I also used that KK 3pt frame with a sweep that I got from Ag Supply.

DSCF0061-small.jpg

I found that this sweep works better when digging trenches for PVC landscape irrigation pipe.

/ kk subsoiler/middle buster #4  
flusher said:
I found that this sweep works better when digging trenches for PVC landscape irrigation pipe.

Are you saying you dig the trench first this way then put the pipe in? I actually took the "tooth" off of my KK subsoiler to run electrical conduit and water pipe by attaching the pipe to the bottom of the subsoiler and trenching/pulling the pipe. Works great with little cleanup.

/ kk subsoiler/middle buster #5  
I too noticed the similarity in subsoiler and middle buster so I bought one complete and the "insert" for the other. My low end King Cutter stuff is yellow. The ground engaging "insert blades" (making it up as I go) are interchangeable. Undoubtedly, KK uses the same "body" for both implements, just changing the "tip."

There is NO DIFFERENCE so it will work fine to change back and forth.

Pat

/ kk subsoiler/middle buster #6  
I just recently bought the KK subsoiler/middlebuster combo at Tractor Supply myself. The combo comes with the plow blade so no mods necessary.

/ kk subsoiler/middle buster #8  
loulblades said:
Are you saying you dig the trench first this way then put the pipe in? I actually took the "tooth" off of my KK subsoiler to run electrical conduit and water pipe by attaching the pipe to the bottom of the subsoiler and trenching/pulling the pipe. Works great with little cleanup.

Yep. I was laying rigid PVC water lines, not the flexible stuff. Had to do a little work with the trench spade, but not a big deal. I could run that sweep a few inches deeper than with the subsoiler chisel point.

/ kk subsoiler/middle buster #9  
Skyco said:
The frames are NOT the same, the length is different.

I guess asking store personnel is NOT definitive. I was told they were the same. Now I wonder which I have, the short one or the long one. I would rather have the long one as it can always be raised up a bit but the short one will limit depth attainable. Oh well, yet another potential project, lengthening the body of the implement.

Oh, and thanks for the link to the prev thread. I read it and got as confused as informed. Apparently there are some frames alike for the two implements (or they are mislabeled) and some different and at least a third variant in the dual purposr body with hollow construction vice solid. ARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!1

Pat

/ kk subsoiler/middle buster #10  
It is the XB version that is hollow, and comes with the interchangable subsoiler/ middlebuster attachments. The XB version is also smaller. The full size (yellow) ones I've seen are different lengths with the subsoiler being the longer one. I do think that the bolt pattern for the middlebuster attachment is the same.