New member and some pics of JD 3005

/ New member and some pics of JD 3005 #1  

mcfly682

Tractor
John Deere 3005
Hello all. My name is Chris and ive lurked here for quite a while. The excellent debates and scads of information here helped me to decide on my new John Deere 3005 tractor. Well, a 790 in sheeps clothing. Ive enjoyed looking at all the various posts and topics you have here and now that i have a tractor, i feel almost worthy to speak up, so i became a member.

Im fairly new to tractors. Been around them my whole life, but never driven one. Ive driven just about everyfrigginthing else though from skid loaders to dump trucks to giant 4 wheel drive/steering forklifts. My wife and i purchased 50 acres of some of the most beautiful West Virginia country you might ever see a little over a year ago and put our house right in the middle of it. We have a 1200' STEEEEEP uphill gravel driveway which was the main focal point for my tractor needs. Maintaining 1200' of gravel driveway with nothing more than a shovel and rake is the pits. Ive already got a ho, but i cant get her to dig worth a darn, so it was time to get a tractor.

John Deere 3005 is what i decided upon and from the first 3 days of abuse ive thrown at it, seems a good choice was made. For attachments i went with an Agrevere 500 5' rotary mower, pig pole of unknown brand and a United 560HD box blade. Im very inexperienced with all of these implements and would welcome any advice for their usage. The brush hog is a **** scary piece of equipment. I can hear it growling to get out of its steel prison so it can chomp me up into blender sized pieces. The box blade on the other hand is one of the best **** working pieces of equipment ive had the pleasure to use. That thing works like a charm. It backhanded my driveway, gave it **** for ever getting out of control then proceded to set things right again with my road. Wonderful thing it is.

While trying to find some pics of the JD 3005, it seems that there are very few out there to be seen. I could count the pics of customer owned 3005's i found here and on the internet on both hands. So i thought i would post a few pics for all to enjoy before i scuff it all up. Sorry, but the wife took these and they unfortunately all have me in them.

Attachments

• DSCF1564.JPG
    DSCF1564.JPG
    930.7 KB · Views: 644
  • DSCF1560.JPG
    DSCF1560.JPG
    950.9 KB · Views: 466
  • DSCF1562.JPG
    DSCF1562.JPG
    696.9 KB · Views: 685
  • DSCF1568.JPG
    DSCF1568.JPG
    960.8 KB · Views: 416
   / New member and some pics of JD 3005 #2  
Welcome Chris, that's a fine looking machine ya got there. ;)

/ New member and some pics of JD 3005 #3  
Welcome to TBN, Glad to have you on board:D

/ New member and some pics of JD 3005 #4  
Hiya,

Nice toy, ummmm piece of necessary equipment you have there. :D That's a nice hill you have too.

I do have two suggestions:
1) You may want to think about adding ballast to the rear. I looked up your cutter and it's right around 500Lbs. That seems a bit light for a 300 loader. I would suggest either loaded rear tires along with either your cutter or box blade on the 3 pt, (I use Ballistar) or a ballast box filled with cement.

2) Get a set of forks for your loader. Once you get them you will wonder how you survived since birth without them. Ask anyone here who has them, they will say the same.

I live on a mountain and I found that adding a little extra weight to the rear made for much easier work with the loader on the slopes. With the minimum ballast, the 2520 felt a bit light. I loaded the rears and it's rock steady now. (wheel weights, loaded tires and Portland cement filled Deere ballast box)

My 2 cents,

Tom

/ New member and some pics of JD 3005 #5  
Welcome Chris.
Porch light always on TBN,sooo jump right in and share w/us.

/ New member and some pics of JD 3005 #6  
Congratulations on your new acquisitions, Chris, both the tractor and attachments and the 50 acres property. Thanks for sharing the photos, enjoy the new JD 3005 and be safe! Definitely heed the advice of those experienced operators out here when it comes to ballast suggestions.

/ New member and some pics of JD 3005 #7  
Congrats on the new unit chris, and welcome to TBN. glad you are getting into fast. Thanks for the pics.

/ New member and some pics of JD 3005 #8  
Another welcome and congratulations Chris.:)

/ New member and some pics of JD 3005 #9  
Thomas said:
Welcome Chris.
Porch light always on TBN,sooo jump right in and share w/us.

Hey, great to see you're back with us Thomas.:)

/ New member and some pics of JD 3005
Thanks for the warm welcome and helpful advice.

I forgot to mention that after reading many posts here and speaking with some of my neighbors who are long time tractor owners, i had all 4 tires filled with a calcium solution before i picked the tractor up from the dealer. This coupled with the rear box blade or rotary cutter makes tramming gravel down the hill very stable. I havent felt unstable on any straight up or straight down travel yet. Very pleased with this.

I do have a question though concerning how steep of a grade is considered safe when travelling sideways on a slope. The tractor does feel unsteady on even a very slight slope when moving against the grain and i certainly dont want to push it. What would you all recommend for me in this situation? Ive read many a newspaper headline of folks who have died or been seriously injured from rolling their tractor over. I dont want that to be my 15 minutes of fame. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.