G1800

/ G1800 #1  

Sputcher

Might be acquiring a Kubota G1800 Lawn Tractor with less than 1000 hours. First , does anyone own one, and, what is your opinion. Second, what kind of implements can be used on it? Also, what problems have you had? All the research I have done has been overwhelmingly positive, but, I know this site has some experts, and, I value experts' advice. Thanks.

/ G1800 #2  
Might be acquiring a Kubota G1800 Lawn Tractor with less than 1000 hours. First , does anyone own one, and, what is your opinion. Second, what kind of implements can be used on it? Also, what problems have you had? All the research I have done has been overwhelmingly positive, but, I know this site has some experts, and, I value experts' advice. Thanks.

I've owned one since May of this year. I don't know how many hours are on it, as the hour meter died at only 53.7. Since I've owned it, the bearings froze up on the alternator, and electric fuel pump died. Otherwise, when it is running, it is a great machine. I have the 4-wheel-steering model, which is very nice for my property, as I have lots of stuff to go around, and lots of tight spots to get in and out of. It isn't quite as good in this regard as a zero-turn, but doesn't have the traction problems of a zero turn when you get on slopes.

I was able to rebuild the alternator for $12 in parts, and the fuel pump cost me around $35, if I remember correctly.

See the following link for alternator rebuild info:

Kubota Alternator Rebuild (covers very many models) - TractorByNet.com

As other's have mentioned here, the big weak point on these machines is the main drive shaft that has non-serviceable u-joints. It is a $300 part, and apparently a PITA to change.

As with any used machine, maintenance history is very important. If it has been well maintained, it will last a very long time. The D662 engine on this tractor is probably good for several thousand hours if properly maintained. Same probably goes for the mower deck.

If you buy it, and it has no maintenance records, be sure and grease everything, and replace the engine oil & filter, and also the HST oil and filter.

Also the G1800 is 16HP, not 18HP as the name would imply, or as another poster has mentioned here. The G1900 is 18 HP, but is otherwise the same. That said, 16HP is more than adequate for the 48" deck that I have, and would probably be fine for the 54" If you want the 60" deck, you'd probably be better off with a G1900.

As for using implements with the G1800, if it does have the somewhat rear three point hitch and PTO options, be aware that the three point is a Cat-0 (not Cat-1), and the PTO is not the standard 6-spline 1 3/8" 540 RPM variety. It is a 2000 RPM PTO with a unique shaft, so powered implements must be made specifically for it (I've never actually seen any). It is also too light to pull ground-engaging implements, esp w/o 4WD. I use my strictly for mowing, and have a B7100HST for everything else. If you want a diesel-powered garden tractor that can also pull implements and power things with a PTO, look into the John Deere 455. It has a standard 540 RPM PTO, and more HP as well. I also believe it is a little heavier. The 455 also had an available front end loader (the G1800/G1900 do not). If you have a little more to spend, and want to stay Orange, then look into the BX series instead. They are not that much larger than the G1800/G1900, and are a full-featured tractor with a Cat-I (limted) three point hitch, and a standard 540-RPM PTO.

The main advantage of the G-series over the BX for me, is the available 4-wheel steering. I can leave a 12" radius uncut circle, where a BX is going to be several times that. That said, I still main consider replacing by my machines with a BX-series when the major of my landscaping work is done, as then, my main tractor needs will be snow removal, and spring distribution mulch around the property.

Last edited:
   / G1800 #3  
I've owned one since May of this year. turn, but doesn't have the traction problems of a zero turn when you get on slopes.

I was See the following link for alternator rebuild info:

for the 48" deck that I have, and would probably be fine for the 54" If

As for using implements with the G1800, if it does have the somewhat a Cat-0 (not Cat-1), and the PTO is not the standard 6-spline 1 3/ the John Deere 455. It has a standard 540 RPM PTO.

* * * I still consider replacing my machines with a BX-series when the major of my landscaping work is done,
* * *The BXs are nice; Really Nice.

L B

/ G1800
Thanks for the great information. I have a list of part #s I think are for implements that can be used on the G1800, but can't find anywhere to punch them in and see if they are available, any ideas? For example, G2591 says it is a rear pto implement, and, G4100 is the tiller, any ideas where I can get a price on these parts? I have about 3 acres to cut, but, have a decent size garden that I need to till every year. I am not able to swing a BX financially, right now, but, definitely want one in the future. But, for now, just need a reliable grass cutter, mulcher. Speaking of mulcher, I have a part number of 70000-03064 as the 48" mulching package, any idea what that is? So, in terms of cutting grass, and mulching, this would be a good model to get? thanks for your input.

/ G1800 #5  
Thanks for the great information. I have a list of part #s I think are for implements that can be used on the G1800, but can't find anywhere to punch them in and see if they are available, any ideas? For example, G2591 says it is a rear pto implement, and, G4100 is the tiller, any ideas where I can get a price on these parts? I have about 3 acres to cut, but, have a decent size garden that I need to till every year. I am not able to swing a BX financially, right now, but, definitely want one in the future. But, for now, just need a reliable grass cutter, mulcher. Speaking of mulcher, I have a part number of 70000-03064 as the 48" mulching package, any idea what that is? So, in terms of cutting grass, and mulching, this would be a good model to get? thanks for your input.

Good luck getting any of these. I tried to get the 48" mulching package from the dealer, but it is NLA (no longer available). Some goes for the rear PTO, 3-point hitch, and front PTO (needed for front snow blower).

I frequently see complete garden tractor packages, used on eBay, and Craigslist, with tiller, and snow blower, or snow plow. Often, these are older Simplicities, Cub Cadets,or Bolens. Sometimes, you'll see a complete package like that go for $1000-$2000.

Of course, they're not diesel powered (which I really like). You could always pick up the G1800 for mowing, and then get another garden tractor package, as I listed above for snowblowing and tilling.

I also recall seeing a Kubota L200'ish (I don't remember the exact model) with a 60" tiller being sold for about $3k. I also say a 15HP Yanmar (Diesel), about the size of a B7100 with tiller sell for about $3k. So, maybe you can get the G1800 for mowing, and then a "real" tractor for tilling.

What is the seller asking for the G1800, if I may ask?

I paid $2300 for mine, and then found a G1900S on ebay, locally, that ended up going for $2650, WITH the rear PTO & three point hitch. I should have bought it, but I had just gotten the G1800 a week earlier, and my first B7100 a month before that. The wife would have killed me. In fact, she damned near did a month later, when I bought the B7100HST (the first one was gear drive), but that is another story....

/ G1800 #6  
I frequently see complete garden tractor packages, used on eBay, and Craigslist, with tiller, and snow blower, or snow plow.
Often, these are older Simplicities, Cub Cadets,or Bolens.
Sometimes, you'll see a complete package like that go for $1000-$2000.

I have a Bolens 850 with a tiller and front blade on it.
It also comes with 2 mower decks a rear carryall / weight tray 2 weight blocks and 2 sets of tire chains.
$1248 or best offer.
L B

/ G1800
I pulled the trigger today, actually, won the bidding for it on ebay. My budget was around $3000, and, I came in well over $500 less than that, at $2375. I figure, main purpose is to cut about 2 1/2 acres of grass, that can grow pretty thick in the spring. My neighbor , has a farm, and, a big tractor he said could do my tilling etc. , just have to ask. So, was going for best deal for a reliable, durable, and well made mower. It was immaculate, looked brand new, even the seat. Not a scuff on the deck, new belt on the deck, a new driveshaft two years ago, etc. Only 900 hours on it. the guy used only Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil in it, and, maintained it religiously. I checked dealers on various sites, and , same model, around same year, were going around $3500-$4200, and none came close to the condition of this one. I have since unloaded it, picked it up today, and, already cut my back yard, and am impressed and even more convinced I got a bargain. Probably wouldn't be able to get them implements past the "war department" anyhow, but, will keep eye open on ebay, etc. So far, its a real solid tractor, everything on it looks heavy duty, especially the 48" deck. I plan on using this for many years to come, and, am pretty satisfied with the deal I got.

/ G1800 #8  
I pulled the trigger today, actually, won the bidding for it on ebay. My budget was around $3000, and, I came in well over $500 less than that, at $2375. I figure, main purpose is to cut about 2 1/2 acres of grass, that can grow pretty thick in the spring. My neighbor , has a farm, and, a big tractor he said could do my tilling etc. , just have to ask. So, was going for best deal for a reliable, durable, and well made mower. It was immaculate, looked brand new, even the seat. Not a scuff on the deck, new belt on the deck, a new driveshaft two years ago, etc. Only 900 hours on it. the guy used only Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil in it, and, maintained it religiously. I checked dealers on various sites, and , same model, around same year, were going around $3500-$4200, and none came close to the condition of this one. I have since unloaded it, picked it up today, and, already cut my back yard, and am impressed and even more convinced I got a bargain. Probably wouldn't be able to get them implements past the "war department" anyhow, but, will keep eye open on ebay, etc. So far, its a real solid tractor, everything on it looks heavy duty, especially the 48" deck. I plan on using this for many years to come, and, am pretty satisfied with the deal I got.

Congrats! You got a good deal. With good maintenance, it'll last you forever. With the current fuel prices, I love mine. I used to burn through about 1 1/2 gal per hour with a 44" ZTR with a 20 HP briggs on it. My G1800S uses about 3/4 gal/hour, with a 48" deck. On straight runs, the G1800S is faster too (my ZTR was a high-end consumer model, 6 MPH top speed, the G1800S goes 8.5).

/ G1800 #9  
I have the G1800 and it's been a good runner.
The only issue I have is that I need to replace a front tire and cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it off the axle.
Pulled the pin, washer and a retainer. Still nothing!

/ G1800 #10  
I've attached, as a jpeg, the attachments available for the G series. I am the original owner of my G1800 4ws and use it for lawn mowing and snow removal. Where I live it has certainly seen more hours clearing snow. I have the G2001(48 in) front blade, the quick hitch system(which is powered by the hydraulic mower lift) and the G2537A(49 in) front sweeper. I have the rear suitcase weight set, the front pto and chains for the rear wheels, which work great. My machine was only available with the 54 mmm. Over the years the machine works well and has only had a few minor repairs The bolt that holds the overflow for the radiator breaks from time to time because of it's lenght and the vibration of the motor (my opinion). To the post about removing the front wheel off the axle, the wheel is only held in place by a washer, split pin and a cap, according to my illustrated parts list. Front tire pressure should be 14 psi and the rear 10 psi. I always find getting the pto saft connected to the tractor to be difficult because of the limited room under the tractor. You can drive the tractor backwards over the mower deck to get the mower off, but it's not as easy as it sounds. Jas67 is right about the fantastic maneuverability of the 4ws system. Don't forget to lube the hidden universal joints of the rear wheel drive shafts(look for them in the hole of the metal shielding of the joint, but you'll have to turn and rotate the wheels.

Attachments

• G1800.jpg
    G1800.jpg
    494.9 KB · Views: 1,279