Got a Bag-A-Nut for my walnut trees

/ Got a Bag-A-Nut for my walnut trees #1  

lhfarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
I started looking at these 3 years ago -http://www.baganut.com/index.asp - when I posted a note looking for something to use on the 20+ walnut trees in my yard. I just couldn't bring my self to spend the $400 dollars. But after raking for a couple of hours last weekend, I walked in the house and placed the order. It arrived mid-week. I ordered the smallest version, more for cost, but I rationalized that my trees are clustered and the tractor version wouldn't work well for me.

Assembly was simple, with only a couple of screws to insert in the handle. The unit is mostly plastic and is easy to push. I have the "flip" model, but if buying again, I think I'd go with the removable basket. The basket fills pretty quickly - at least with walnuts and I don't have a small pan (like the one in the video). I've been lifting the entire unit, then flipping the basket into a large plastic tote. Not very efficient. I'll buy a small pan.

It does work very well, except, as you can see in the picture, the largest walnuts hang under bar. Again, a minor problem and it sure beats raking.

It does seem expensive like plastic, but so do the fenders on my tractor. I'm expecting it to last 10 years, so it is certainly worth $40 a year not to have rake nuts.

Bottom line, I'd certainly recommend it anyone with lots of walnut trees.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    691.2 KB · Views: 645
   / Got a Bag-A-Nut for my walnut trees #2  
I would love to have Walnut trees old enough to bear fruit.:D:D

/ Got a Bag-A-Nut for my walnut trees #3  
We have walnuts coming out of our ears, I use a snow shovel twice a day to clear the drive, I hate the greasy mess left by the truck tires. We pay our ankle biters .01 per walnut to pick up and dispose of, lucky for me they have not been enterprising enough to make me regret it.

Seriously though, I was looking at those last fall and would love to hear how it performs, long term. Keep us posted!

/ Got a Bag-A-Nut for my walnut trees #4  
I love being able to loaf around in my yard and eat fresh nuts off my trees but even my regular pecans are too hard to peel and I usually just eat my papershells.

I could never take the energy and time it takes to try to eat a walnut. I would starve before I got the meat out.

I eat mostly storebought peanuts because they are the easiest to peel. I planted some and can't figure out why the tree only grows about a couple feet high and then dies. Never got a peanut off it yet. :rolleyes:

/ Got a Bag-A-Nut for my walnut trees #5  
some and can't figure out why the tree only grows about a couple feet high and then dies. Never got a peanut off it yet.

He he.:D:D:D

/ Got a Bag-A-Nut for my walnut trees #6  
Gosh it's early. You almost had me going there, good thing Egon chuckled or I'd still be scratching my head :eek:

/ Got a Bag-A-Nut for my walnut trees
We have walnuts coming out of our ears, I use a snow shovel twice a day to clear the drive, I hate the greasy mess left by the truck tires. We pay our ankle biters .01 per walnut to pick up and dispose of, lucky for me they have not been enterprising enough to make me regret it.

Seriously though, I was looking at those last fall and would love to hear how it performs, long term. Keep us posted!

It seems to work on any surface, including my gravel drive. I will keep reporting back. I now come to TBN first when I'm trying to find information on equipment. Figure I should make a contribution to the data pool.