fire wood splitter

/ fire wood splitter #2  
Various versions have been discussed previously and a friend of mine also has one that his father built. As I recall the consensus is that they are effective but frightening.

/ fire wood splitter
Do you have any pics?

/ fire wood splitter #4  
They must be very proud of that splitter. Almost 4 grand.

/ fire wood splitter #5  
I don't think it is worth the money.

Two guys feeding a normal (cheaper) hydraulic splitter could beat the socks off of someone using that splitter (and you have to work the "hands free" one alone, or you could have some amazng injuries).

I think the "hands free" splitter could be an exercise in frustration trying to make your skid loader do something that god intended to be done by hands.

/ fire wood splitter #6  
Sorry no pics, but it was PTO powered. He offered to give it to me once. I declined because of the dangerous reputation of this type of splitter.
Here is another thread on this type of splitter

/ fire wood splitter #7  
I've seen a couple of the confined versions used to split wood commercially. Listening to the video, and watching how slow it works, it is clear that this unit takes a lot of power to run. Despite the manufacturer's claims, I was unimpressed with the performance, especially given that it was hooked up to a bobcat...

I'd rather go with a Palax 100S. It will split wood, or make kindling. Totally enclosed, and safe. Of course it costs a little more- $43,600.

It's baby brother mounts on tractors, for a mere $15,000....

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / fire wood splitter #8  
Do you have any pics?

Here are a few.

I saw one like these bolted on to the rear wheel of a truck about 60 years ago.

Attachments

• 4ff2_0.jpg
    4ff2_0.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 5,925
  • a496_12.jpg
    a496_12.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 2,055
  • a749_1.jpg
    a749_1.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,509
  • pic_main.gif
    pic_main.gif
    44.9 KB · Views: 598
   / fire wood splitter #9  
Yeah. There used to be a junkyard over here that had a sign out front that read "This Car Splits Wood!" It had one of those spiral splitters bolted to the hub of the rear wheel of a car. The wheel wells were all banged up but there was a pile of wood there.

If you search for screw log splitter you will get all kinds of hits.

/ fire wood splitter #10  
Here's mine. I did 9 cords with it this spring.

Attachments

• small3.JPG
    small3.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 2,203