Gehl/Ford Round Balers

/ Gehl/Ford Round Balers #1  

matt21

Bronze Member
Were the old Ford round balers made by Gehl? I noticed they look very similar. I saw a Ford 551 round baler the other day and was just curious as to how good they were.

/ Gehl/Ford Round Balers #2  
Were the old Ford round balers made by Gehl? I noticed they look very similar. I saw a Ford 551 round baler the other day and was just curious as to how good they were.

Go up to the Dealers tab and checkout the Carter & Carter Machinery website. They have a 551 listed under used equipment.

/ Gehl/Ford Round Balers #3  
I have had 3 one 1500 and two 1500a from the early 80s. Just quit using them this year due to parts pricing. These are closed throat belt balers they make good rolls. the hay needs to be dry but not over dry. Good balers in good conditions. I broke the gear boxes trying to roll damp wads of grass.
I now have a Krone 181 and Claas (Deutz Allis 2.5) both are soft core fixed chamber one use chains the other series rollers. Both bale almost anything at almost anytime.

/ Gehl/Ford Round Balers
How dense of a bale can i expect to make with this baler? What bale weight will it handle, etc.? What exactly is the difference in a closed throat and an open throat baler?

/ Gehl/Ford Round Balers #6  
In good hay makes a good dense 1000 to 1500 # roll. will stand up good and shed water well. And you can stop the rolls smaller than 5 ft if you need to. Closed throat means it has a roller that is spring loaded and the force and pressure of the incoming grass pushed the roller up. A very good system for making consistent rolls of hay. The only problem I ever had involved clumps of damp hay say around the edges that would wrap around the throat roller. Most of the time the shear pin shears and you clean it out and replace the bolt. If it doesnt shear it will break something. these baler will make a very good tight roll of hay.
Open throat means anything that hits the pickup teeth goes into the chamber( fence post, wood chunks, scrap metal).
Good balers just dont pay too much and keep em shedded to protect the belts.
Good luck

/ Gehl/Ford Round Balers
In good hay makes a good dense 1000 to 1500 # roll. will stand up good and shed water well. And you can stop the rolls smaller than 5 ft if you need to. Closed throat means it has a roller that is spring loaded and the force and pressure of the incoming grass pushed the roller up. A very good system for making consistent rolls of hay. The only problem I ever had involved clumps of damp hay say around the edges that would wrap around the throat roller. Most of the time the shear pin shears and you clean it out and replace the bolt. If it doesnt shear it will break something. these baler will make a very good tight roll of hay.
Open throat means anything that hits the pickup teeth goes into the chamber( fence post, wood chunks, scrap metal).
Good balers just dont pay too much and keep em shedded to protect the belts.
Good luck

What size bale is that bale weight for? Is it 4x5 or 5x5? I'm looking at a ford 551 that makes a 4x5 bale. Thanks for all the good info. How much is too much to pay? They want $2,250 for the 551.

Last edited:
   / Gehl/Ford Round Balers
Also, are these balers good enough to bale 2,000 bales a year on? I'm sure they are slower than the newer balers but i just can't afford a newer baler. How long does it take to tie a bale with one?

/ Gehl/Ford Round Balers #9  
$2000 will get you a much newer machine. If you shop.
The 5 by 5 in working shape is probably worth 500 to 1000 at auction. Shop now off season look at craigslist in your area. I have seen several rollers all worth the money. I paid 800 for a good Krone 181 and 2500 for the wegler sold as deutz allis. Both are very good machines
To roll 2000 rolls per year you need a much faster wrapping baler. I like dual twine electric or hydraulic feed.

Im not sure brand is significant but design and speed are important
Just my 2 cents