Rake landscape rake uses

/ landscape rake uses #1  

BamaJDfan

Tractor
JD 2305
I am thinking of a landscape rake to get the black walnuts and leaves gathered up. I always see photos of them used in bare seedbeds to get the rocks out and these walnuts are about the size of rocks so... Has anyone used a landscape rake for this or similar purpose?

/ landscape rake uses #2  
If your talking about on a lawn, I think you would do damage unless it had wheels and the tines set to not dig in.
If it's not on lawn, just packed ground I would say it will work, the nuts might slip thru the tines though.
JB.

/ landscape rake uses #3  
BamaJDfan,

If you find something that works good at collecting black walnuts, I would be interested to know what you find. My black walnut tree was especially productive this year, and I spent a lot of time cleaning up after it. I used my estate rake to rake the nuts into wind rows, then I had to clean up the wind rows by hand. It worked better than raking everything by hand, but it still wasn't great.

/ landscape rake uses
I also had a VERY large black walnut yield this year. I have found this tow behind: Order a Bag-A-Nut Nut Harvester Today! which may pick up the windrows from the estate rake but this seems like a lot of expense (cost of rake plus walnut pick up device). But at least with the estate rake I can rake the leaves from the sycamore trees as well.

...but thats kinda where I was heading with the landscape rake - set it to the point just above the grass to pick up limbs (sycamores love to drop limbs), leaves (sycamores have HUGE leaves), and black walnuts (a bazillion black walnuts this year). Either way I guess I have to pick em up in the end. :(

I did find this this hand operated version Nut Wizard: Choosing the Best Size but I'd be out there two weeks with this thing filling up the FEL many, many times. :eek:

/ landscape rake uses #5  
Bama, I have raked hickory nuts with mine and it does fair. I don't find real damage to my grass using the landscape rake with lift all the way down. Am sure this can vary with different grasses, dirt types and moisture level and such. I will run my rake through my grass to remove the thatch and open up zoysia and centipede this way normally in the spring.

/ landscape rake uses #6  
I too had thought about the golf ball collector, but the price was too high to consider. After looking at how many of them worked, it also looked like the discs that the golf balls get wedged between would mash up the black walnuts because they seem to get soft if they sit on the ground more than a day or two. The one on your link has individual fingers which may be better than the disks, but I still couldn't justify the price with only one black walnut tree in the yard. The nut wizard looks interesting if it could be scaled up to pull behind a lawn mower or tractor. Thanks for sharing what you found. I guess for now I will just hope for a small crop next year.

/ landscape rake uses #7  
Hi Guys, I'm presented with the same type of problem only it's 6 chestnut trees. The porcupine-like quills of a chestnut husk hurt quite bad to pick up by hand. I was considering a lawn sweeper and was wondering if anyone has used on effectively on nut or husk removal?

/ landscape rake uses #8  
Would a golf ball picker like driving ranges use, work for nuts?
Ball Pickers

WITTEK - The Ball Hawk LThttp://www.davidgolf.com.au/ballpickers/

The Wittek Ball Hawk Series ball pickers are lighweight but the strongest ball pickers on the market today, contouring to any terrain and featuring one of the largest ball capacities of any gang configuration ball retriever.

WITTEK - Commercial Ball Picker

More driving ranges across the world prefer the Wittek Commercial Ball Pickers over all other ball pickers. Built to last, these ball pickers are designed for today’s practice ranges and golf learning centres and ranges that demand top performance and maneuverability in a ball picker. No matter if your range terrain is flat and rugged or gently rolling, the Wittek Commercial Ball Picker retrieves your range balls with efficiency.

EASY PICKER - The World's Most Popular Range Picker

The new high rise style range picker with high back baskets including built-in handles, is set higher off the ground for better operator visibility. The use of boxed welded steel in the mainframe keeps weight down, yet provides strength and durability. The triangular configuration has proven to be much more maneuverable than conventional straight-line pickers. The disc picking system eliminates cut and buried balls by pushing the picker in front of your power source. The unique composite disc gently lifts each ball into the basket. With ever-improving technology, the composite discs are virtually indestructible and are the strongest on the market today.

/ landscape rake uses #9  
Would a golf ball picker like driving ranges use, work for nuts?
It must.
That's what they use after those nuts hit balls for hours.:)

/ landscape rake uses #10  
Has anyone tried modifying a lawn sweeper. If you could replace the brushes with somthing stiffer like rubber?
Bill