Wheel Horse Mower Deck

/ Wheel Horse Mower Deck #1  

Corm

Gold Member
Tractor
1999 Cub Cadet 7260, 1953 Farmall Super A
I have a 1988 Wheelhorse / Toro 312H with a 42" rear discharge mower deck. Last weekend while mowing a horrendous noise and vibration starting coming from the mower deck. Before I could shut her down the belts jumped off the pulleys.

On close inspection, I discovered that the deck is cracked so badly around two of the three spindles that they were about ready to break off of the deck. I looked at it and decided that there wasn't enough metal left to try and weld the cracks, so I ordered a new pan ($316, ouch!), and plan to switch all of my old hardware from the old deck to the new one.

My question - How in heck do you get the !@#$%&^*# pulleys off of the spindles? One came off real easy. I've been using a bearing puller on the others, and have just about destroyed the pulleys, and they just won't come off. I'd like to save the spindles if I can, if I can only get those goldarned pulleys off! I've tried penetrating oil, heat, swearing, gear puller, swearing..... nothing works. Anyone got any advice, or some new swear words?! Thanks in advance

Corm

/ Wheel Horse Mower Deck #2  
Swear words work for me. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif When I was rebuilding the deck on my Ingersoll, I also had to remove the pulleys. Of the 4 I had to take off, one would just not budge. I ended up getting it off with a puller, but it did damage the pulley./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Some times you just cant help it.

/ Wheel Horse Mower Deck #3  
If you have access to an acetylene torch, heating the pulley around the shaft area would help.

/ Wheel Horse Mower Deck
Argee - I tried that. The only thing it did was to boil the grease out of the spindles /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif. I've tried not to heat them up too much so I can save the bearings. I have deformed the pulleys so much now with the bearing puller that I know they can't be saved. I'd really like to save the spindles if I can ($24 per...). I appreciate the suggestion.

Corm

/ Wheel Horse Mower Deck #5  
I would not try to save the bearings. Unless you just changed them, they will be bad anyway. If you are going through all that work, might as well go all the way. You would not want to do it over agen in a year.

/ Wheel Horse Mower Deck #6  
I agree with Paul. Do it once, Do it right. You allready have it tore down, a few extra bucks now will save you a ton of headaches later. By beating on them you may have messed up the bearings anyway. That said, take the torch and cut those stubborn little buggers off./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

/ Wheel Horse Mower Deck
Thanks for the advice folks. I had to cut off two of the spindles /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif. I ended up having to buy 2 new spindles, 2 new pulleys, and I replaced all the bearings. Still less expensive than an all new deck! Now if it will just stop raining long enough for me to get out there and cut the grass...

Corm

/ Wheel Horse Mower Deck #8  
You did the right thing./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Now you will not have to worry about it.