Allis Chalmers 6140 - questions

/ Allis Chalmers 6140 - questions #1  

thartweger

Bronze Member
I noticed you guys do not have an Allis Chalmers section, any reason why? I thought they were pretty big? Either way, I am looking at taking over an Allis Chalmers from my Dad's friend. It is an 80ish AC 6140, and he claims it to be a 4 cyl 40 horse. I am not sure its value really, but the hourmeter appears to be non functional and stopped at 1800 hours. Couple other issues I have spotted is that the pivoting point on the front axle for the steer is wore down and the wheels shimmy badly when driving down the road. Also, the 3 point hitch is questionable. Now weve played with it and it seems after a while to raise easier in lower rpm's then high. Also when you put it in high rpm's to raise it the shrill from under the seat area is unbearable. It will raise, hold for a bit make a loud shrill, then start raising 15 seconds later, hold for a bit loud shrill, then finish raising. Now in lower rpm's after a while it will raise and lower no problems and the shrill is minimal if even existant. My dad says it sounds like bypass valve in the hydraulic system but I honestly have no clue and have yet to take it to a mechanic. What do the masters on forum know about this if anything?

/ Allis Chalmers 6140 - questions
no one can shed any light on this?

/ Allis Chalmers 6140 - questions #3  
I hopped over here from you're link in the Ford post. We had an Allis 6080 in the early 80's which was a very good, basic tractor - no frills, though there really weren't many than anyway. That tractor was 70ish hp. Anyway, have you checked the hydraulic fluid level? Sounds like maybe it's low.

it is full. its a real high pitched noise.

/ Allis Chalmers 6140 - questions #5  
Sounds like a faulty relief valve.

Sounds like a faulty relief valve.

i am still consdering getting this tractor.. my dad said he thought it was a releif valve also.. sounds like it makes sense.. any idea what it would take to fix that on a tractor like this?

/ Allis Chalmers 6140 - questions #7  
It could be dirt or a spring & ball.