790 block heater??

/ 790 block heater?? #1  

foggy1111

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L 3560 HSTC, 805 Loader
I have a 790 tractor that I would like to put a block heater on. I like the frost plug style heaters and saw the left side of the tractor has an easy-to-get to plug that I had planned to use (measures 1.175".....so it must be a metric size plug) and its at the back of the engine block. I didnt find any mention of the heater in the JD operator manual.

HOWEVER...when I went to the NAPA store to get the heater....the guy behind the counter comes up with a thread-in plug. I have an older (02?) 790. Do they have a threaded spot in the block for a heating element?? I would prefer that....but have been unable to locate that.

Anyone put a heater on the 790? What did you use? Also, is there a way to check the serial number for the production year? I think this may be an issue with parts as time goes on......so I better find out for sure. As my 790 has a model 70 loader.....It may be a bit older model than I thought when I bought it. :(

/ 790 block heater?? #2  
http://www.phillipsandtemro.com/UserFiles/File/ZEROSTART_Catalog_WEB.pdf

Head on down to the Yanmar section...PG 65 in the catalog
Looks like the same setup as what was on my F935...JD wants you to buy a ton of parts...see attached...
I went with the Zerostart PN# 3500001 which was basically "Everything in one" and it only cost 35.00 for the whole shebang including the cord and even the installation bolts. Dunno if it would fit yours....
I'm guessing if you keep what you got, you'll need to get the adaptor plate from JD: "M800125 - ADAPTER FITTING"

Attachments

• heater.JPG
    heater.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 1,462
   / 790 block heater?? #3  
Dave,
Where did you get the Zerostart P/N 3500001 for $35? It looks like just what I need for my JD2210. The company in your link will not sell direct to me.
Thanks, Ken

/ 790 block heater?? #4  
Also, is there a way to check the serial number for the production year?

Sure, just take the S/N to a JD dealer and they will look it up, they can also give you a service history on it if it's ever been to any dealer for service.

JD does sell a block heater for your tractor, have you priced it?

/ 790 block heater??
Sure, just take the S/N to a JD dealer and they will look it up, they can also give you a service history on it if it's ever been to any dealer for service.

JD does sell a block heater for your tractor, have you priced it?

Thanks for the advice on the SN.....gonna check that out.....and I will check to see what John Deere has for the heater. Thanks

/ 790 block heater?? #6  
Dave,
Where did you get the Zerostart P/N 3500001 for $35? It looks like just what I need for my JD2210. The company in your link will not sell direct to me.
Thanks, Ken

A local "Napa Type" shop that specializes in heavy truck parts & pieces...The kind of place you go if you want some LED lights for your 53' Reefer trailer and a 55 Gallon Drum of Rotella T.... I had googled ZeroStart dealers in my area and thats how I found them. They had to order it, and actually got a laugh at how small it was, but they were excelent....I brought them a print out of the Catalog Page, highlighed, etc...so all he had to do was pick the phone up & call.

/ 790 block heater?? #7  
I wish I had known about the Zerostart option about a week ago, I just bought the kit for my 755 from my local dealer for about $120 for both pieces. The heater works great and warms the engine up pretty fast but I'm sure the $35 heater works just as well.

Jason

/ 790 block heater?? #8  
My element burned out and I think it was $65 at JD. The short cord that plugs into it is an additional cost. You will have to drain your anti-freeze to put it in.

/ 790 block heater?? #9  
I wish I had known about the Zerostart option about a week ago, I just bought the kit for my 755 from my local dealer for about $120 for both pieces. The heater works great and warms the engine up pretty fast but I'm sure the $35 heater works just as well.

Jason

The heater on my F935 (Zerostart) is 3x the heater thats in my 3520....in 40 minutes I could get the water in the F935 to the point of the block being HOT to the touch...it would literally melt the snow off the hood...
I left my 3520 plugged in overnight accidently the other day (factory Heater) and it was barely lukewarm....I mean it was warm, but nothing like the other one....I suspect the Zerostart unit is of higher wattage, when I plugged it in the lights in the garage would dim...no joke... When I plug in the 3520 it doesnt draw as much juice. So realistically, I feel that the not only is the Zerostart cheaper, its BETTER by a long shot.

/ 790 block heater?? #10  
Will that Zerostart part number work in a 770 as well? Is the Yanmar model the same part match? Thanks...