4310 ePwrRevsr Clutch Problem

/ 4310 ePwrRevsr Clutch Problem #1  

bluewing

Tractor
L3650GST
Has anyone had this problem before................

My 4310 ePower Reverser recently lost the clutch. It will engage the clutch in lower ranges (A,B) and will slowly get moving on level ground with no load. There is not enough power to pull the box blade or dig with the front loader. Nor will tractor start rolling in C range.

However, the PTO works fine (I can run the brush cutter on flat ground), and the front loader hydraulics work fine (it will dig and lift fine, so long as I do not need the tractor to "push" into the dig).

I've checked for loose wire connections and/or loose/broken fittings and can find none.

There are no codes flashing.

I went to change the hydraulic fluid and filters and found what appears to be chopped up pieces of an O-ring in the bottom of the tranny at the suction screen. I cleaned this all out, replaced all filters and fluid and, of course still have the problem.

Local JD dealer sent me the clutch housing pictures and parts list. When I pressurized the clutch system, I had a great deal of loss from behind the clutch packs. When I removed them, there were grooves on each shaft that allowed the pressure to escape. The parts book did not show the grooves or any seals/O-rings.
I'm sure there must be o-rings in those grooves, but the pictures given to me from the dealer do not show any. JD does not seem to be available until 1/5/09. Must be nice to have that much time off for Xmas/New Years!!!

Or, could there be a totally different problem????

Any ideas or past experiences you can offer up would be appreciated.

I'd like to get it fixed. Otherwise the only thing it'll be good for is a big wheal barrow for the wife's weed pickin out of the gardens!!! And that just wouldn't be right!!

/ 4310 ePwrRevsr Clutch Problem #2  
Well... that would be a little frustrating to have the dealer take an extended vacation.. in FLORIDA (of all places) over the holidays!! :)

But - this morning it was -29F here - so, I can really appreciate the idea of a vacation in Florida; and anything more than a week.. well, that would be a very GOOD thing!

Nonetheless; when I looked here -- John Deere - Parts Catalog

I found a couple of O-rings on the shaft just behind the clutch packs. Maybe the manual pictures that you got from the dealer illustrated an older year model, etc.

Best of luck.

AKfish

/ 4310 ePwrRevsr Clutch Problem #3  
I finally registered thinking I might be able to help you. I have enjoyed reading the posts for a long time and have learned a lot. Thanks to all who take the time to network.
Anyway, I had this same thing happen with my 03, 4310. It drove me nuts thinking that my clutch was "going". I would switch the reverser and slowly the tractor would lose power, even stand still with the engine running perfectly, not straining at all. I would depress the clutch a few times and work the reverser and eventually get movement back. I changed the transmission fluid and filters to no avail.
Finally, I called the dealer who I came to know and rely on ( yes I've had other problems with the machine that I would love to share ). He suggested that I lubricate the clutch linkage. I thought this was rediculous and could'nt possibly be the problem but guess what? After taking some WD-40 and spraying every linkage I could find the problem was resolved and has never come back. The clutch pedal linkage is attached to an electrically operated switch. There are several pivot points that you can access without removing body parts. A long handled oil can or WD-40 with spray hose attached worked for me.
I hope this helps for you. The 4310 has been a solid hard working machine for me.
My only complaint at this stage is that the 430 loader has become very loose on the tower portion. The dealer has suggested a shim kit be installed but I can't see sending it all the way ( 50 mi. ) just for that.
I feel like I know some of you regulars. I'll fill in the rest of my info and post some pics when I figure it out.

/ 4310 ePwrRevsr Clutch Problem #4  
On our 5420 with power reverser, it has 2 clutches, forward and reverse. If forward fails, you can drive it home backwards I've been told.

I just looked and yours has 2 clutches too. So if its slipping no matter what, I believe what Chuck4310 wrote above is probably your culprit. Hope so, that's a cheap fix.

Last edited:
   / 4310 ePwrRevsr Clutch Problem #5  
I have or had the same problem with my 4310. I also found rubber in the suction screen. The tractor just seemed to quit one day for no reason. The next day it was fine, but later on it just quit again. John Deere sent out a tech and he checked it out and said I needed a rotary sensor. $345 later he left and it didn't run an hour before it quit again. Next the dealer told me in needed to be calibrated. They wenched it up on a truck and I didn't get it back for two weeks, and this time it cost just under $500. It made it 4 hours before it quit again. This time they said I needed to put seals in the transmission. Again it was gone for two weeks and $3,100 later I got it back. Two hours of back blading in my driveway, and, guess what...it quit again. This time they said it was a clutch switch, but the repair was on them. The tech haden't finished putting his tools up, and guess what...dead again. They said they would contact the factory before proceeding. My brother in law has a friend in Florida, so he called him. His friend has only worked on one so far, but he said the one he worked on needed a pressure regulator valve. I didn't want to tell the dealer what we were up to, so we sent away for the valve. My brother in law's friend talked us through changing it, and it has worked for two weeks now without a problem. My dealer still hasen't got back with me.

/ 4310 ePwrRevsr Clutch Problem #6  
If it was my $3900 I would never return to that "dealer". Sounds like a parts hanger instead of a Technician.

/ 4310 ePwrRevsr Clutch Problem #7  
Bluewing....did you ever get your problem solved? If you did, what was the outcome? Thanks.

/ 4310 ePwrRevsr Clutch Problem #8  
I'm in the market to sell it. It is like new and has a quick detach bucket and also quick detach loader frame. It has 420 hours on it, and works well now. It has a roll over protector and a fiberglass roof.
I am just east of Adel Georgia.

/ 4310 ePwrRevsr Clutch Problem #9  
Cheyenne2x My tractor is doing the same thing I was blading snow today in c3 would pull fine until you got over the top of the snow pile then it would just sit there it would not go forward or back. I put it in b3 annd it would spin the tires. Did you have to split the tractor to install the pressuer regulator or was it an external piece. Do you have the part # for the valve and how much was the cost. Thanks for all your help.

/ 4310 ePwrRevsr Clutch Problem #10  
You have to remove a cover on the bottom held on by 6 tiny bolts. The pressure regulator valve is on the left side of the housing and looks like a brass plug. You can feel it better than you can see it. The valve cost $75 plus shipping. It took all of about 10 minutes to change it. We had to cut a box wrench to get it loose. Part number is G02610. The funny thing is that the tech that originally came out was so sure that it was the rotary sensor and even the guy that sold me the valve said the same thing. I'm starting to sound like a mechanic.