Cold weather start

/ Cold weather start #1  

Harvey7

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK25
We've had a cold spell here in Nova Scotia over the past few days, it was -23 C, ( -9 F ), but the CK25 started right up, ( two turns of the glow plugs ). I was pretty impressed.

Harvey

/ Cold weather start #2  
Good show.:D

My truck just made a few "erugahs" and became silent. It definitely sounds like "New batteries" time.:(

Been putting it off but now it is time.:D

/ Cold weather start #3  
Do you think a block heater would've helped, or just time for batteries?

Joel

/ Cold weather start #4  
Oh yes the block heater would have helped.:D

Being plugged in overnight did make a tad of a difference it did! The overnight battery charger kinda helped too! The batteries are six years old.

But; new battery time it is as the present ones are not holding a proper charge.:( Money I no got!:eek:

/ Cold weather start #5  
Oh yes the block heater would have helped.:D

Being plugged in overnight did make a tad of a difference it did! The overnight battery charger kinda helped too! The batteries are six years old.

But; new battery time it is as the present ones are not holding a proper charge.:( Money I no got!:eek:
Have you tried just cleaning up the connections to the batteries? The battery in my 6 year old diesel was acting up so I changed it out, $145.00 later.. same issue. Cleaned up the battery terminals and clamps, as well as main ground connection... it is much happier now. :) Old battery was propably still okay. :(

/ Cold weather start #6  
The connections are kept clean. Many thanks though.:D
But maybe I should clean the connectors again. It sure would not hurt!

The previous batteries also lasted just six years. :D

Now I hope My tractor will start as easy as "Harveys". It does not have a heater yet and I fear the battery may not be in the best of condition. And some snow is falling.

Last edited:
   / Cold weather start #7  
Tried my tractor yesterday. -21c over night and -15c when I started it. Took a few tries - - - preheat with glow plugs but it did start. I let it run 5+ minutes and shut it down.

Lloyd

/ Cold weather start #8  
We've had a cold spell here in Nova Scotia over the past few days, it was -23 C, ( -9 F ), but the CK25 started right up, ( two turns of the glow plugs ). I was pretty impressed.

Harvey

Ipretty much start my Kubota B2400 the same way and it has been cold here also about 0 deg but today is warmer.

/ Cold weather start #9  
My LK has started flawlessly, started the other day, was around 10 degrees or so, long glow plug, turn key, sputter, run glow plug again, another 30-45 seconds or so, turn the key, she sputtered, as she sputtered turned glow plugs back on and she smoothed out.

Real nice starting diesel.

I still need to install my collant line heater, no need to make the starts harder than they need to be.

But very impressed with how easy this diesel starts in the super cold.

Joel

/ Cold weather start #10  
I have had to start my CK30 more this winter than ever with the snow we have gotten. I run the glow plugs 4 times and it always starts right up. Made the last payment on it last week, now I love it even more :). Can't imagine going through this winter without it.