How to find septic lines?

/ How to find septic lines? #1  

raykos

Silver Member
Tractor
JD2305
Hi all,

A couple of years ago I bought a JD 2305 with a FEL & backhoe. Now, I would like to build a combination garage/shop for it. Where I'm thinking on building may put a portion of the garage over my septic lines distribution box, but I'm not entirely sure. My house was built in '68 and the township doesn't have any records or plans for the septic installation.

I have an idea of where the box is at, but I would like to be 100% sure. So I guess I may be using the backhoe to find the distribution box. Besides digging verrrry carefully, are there any other suggestions about how to dig for or find the distribution box?

Thanks,
Ray

/ How to find septic lines? #2  
Well not practical now cause ground is frozen, but probing with some sort of steel rod might work.

Assuming you have plastic/concrete pipe a metal detector wouldn't work for the pipe but I bet there is some rebar in the distribution box!!

Mike

/ How to find septic lines? #3  
Come spring time you may find the snow thinner and then the grass greener over top of the septic due to the heat.

/ How to find septic lines? #4  
Most people probe for them with a 3/8 or 1/2 driven in to the ground rod come up with a a test grid. You should feel the tank (solid hit) and drain field feel rod hitting the rocks. Work at it and you will gain a feel the disturb soil (dug out) and virgin (not dug), Also lay down and look across the ground some times you can see the depression in soil from the lines being back filled and sinking a little when looking across it.

When you do find them take notes and pictures.

tom

/ How to find septic lines? #5  
Septic tank, septic lines or both? I've seen septic cleaning guys us a metal rod to find line and the tank.

Wedge

/ How to find septic lines? #6  
Been there done that...can be a pain. The best way I have found was as previously mentioned. I have a dedicated tool I made just for this purpose, a 4' steel rod with a T-handle on top. I have found that a chromed rod about 3/8"-1/2" with sharp point works best. When used after a continued wet period, like spring, you can push it into the ground and find/trace your lines.

/ How to find septic lines? #7  
The Miss Dig operation came by my place and put an RF signal generator on the drain line in the house. Then he went outside with his RF receiver and marked the entire line and field drain tiles with spray paint. All done in 15 minutes. The main drain line and tank #1 were under the (former) swimming pool concrete deck.

BTW: my first use of a front end loader: Since the kid didn't want to clean and maintain the inground pool, I filled it in with dirt, stones and gravel. Now its a rose garden.

/ How to find septic lines? #8  
The Miss Dig operation came by my place and put an RF signal generator on the drain line in the house. Then he went outside with his RF receiver and marked the entire line and field drain tiles with spray paint. All done in 15 minutes. The main drain line and tank #1 were under the (former) swimming pool concrete deck.
Did this tell you how deep any of it was burried?

/ How to find septic lines? #9  
I probed for mine as well- it helps to stand out there and look for a long time until you can start to visualize the changes in the ground- then start probing. It was a pain- probably be worth the money to have someone with the radioactive stuff find it.

/ How to find septic lines? #10  
I like the RF idea posted by zzvyb6, if it works.

Not my idea and Iv yet to try it but I read on TBN about using a steel fish tape and a metal detector. If the lines are plastic and theres no treasure in your yard it might just work.