Mixing Kerosene and Diesel

/ Mixing Kerosene and Diesel #1  

capi75rs

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2810
Just my luck, not watching the handle I picked up at the local fuel station, I bought 3 gallons of Kerosene, FYI all the fuel I purchased was put into 5 gallon cans and has not yet been put into my tractor. I then shut off the Kerosene pump and turned on the diesel pump and filled the other 5 gallon can with diesel. My question is being that I have nothing that needs only Kerosene, can I safely add the kerosene to my diesel tractor without hurting the engine? If not I guss I'll save it for a brush pile this summer. The kerosene cost me @ 15.00 for the 3 gallons, I guess this is my STUPID tax for the week.:mad:

/ Mixing Kerosene and Diesel #2  
If you blend it with your #2 at around five gal of #2, to 1 or 2 gal kero you will be fine. Blended fuel at the pump is usually 60/40 with #1. #1 diesel and Kerosine are very close in quality. It will help your fuel pour point during the winter months.

Dan

/ Mixing Kerosene and Diesel #3  
Allot of people use Kerosene in diesels to clean out the injectors. It's a cleaner burning fuel and costs allot more, so it's not used very ofter, but it's not a bad thing.

Eddie

Last edited:
   / Mixing Kerosene and Diesel #4  
Wont hurt, we run these engines with 50/50 @ temps from -20 to 130 f for thousands of hours under loads that can bring them to their knees. Never had a fuel related failure.

Actually most tractor service is considered light duty compared to reefer units, gen sets and rental construction equipment it's anyone's guess what fuel gets put in them throughout their life cycle that is normally in excess of 10 to 15,000 hours

/ Mixing Kerosene and Diesel #5  
Like the others said, use one gallon per 5 gallons of diesel and it will do wonders and prevent gelling.

Chris

/ Mixing Kerosene and Diesel #6  
Vermonters have used 1/3 to 1/2 kerosene in their diesel in the winter time to eliminate fuel gelling (keeps the wax in solution). One winter, I dumped in a couple gallons of kerosene into my 3.5 gallon tractor tank. It'll use more/hr but will run fine.

Ralph

/ Mixing Kerosene and Diesel
Thanks all for the replies. I feel better knowing I don't have to burn up $15.00 worth of oops, and that it will mix just fine. I mix a little at each fill up. My tank is 8 gal so I'll probably mix 1 gal of Kerosene each time.

/ Mixing Kerosene and Diesel #9  
Sounds good to me.
Thanks all for the replies. I feel better knowing I don't have to burn up $15.00 worth of oops, and that it will mix just fine. I mix a little at each fill up. My tank is 8 gal so I'll probably mix 1 gal of Kerosene each time.

/ Mixing Kerosene and Diesel #10  
Kero and #1 are both very low in lubricity. If you add enough 2 cycle oil to make the mix a 50:1 ratio (about 2 oz per gal), your pump will thank you. I add about 1 oz per gal normally for my truck to help keep the very high pressure common rail pump happy.

jb