types of transmissions

/ types of transmissions #1  

hondo964

Tractor
JD 950 JD 5055e
Can anyone explain to me in not-too-technical terms the pros and cons of the old collarshift transmissions versus the newer hydrostat transmissions (with such things as synch reverser)?

I'm wondering if the newer technology is more prone to problems, is more complicated/sensitive, if it affects pto etc etc. I don't know anything about either one and I usually have found that the older tractors (though a bit less convenient) are more simple, reliable and solid.

/ types of transmissions #2  
I grew up riding a 9n, then a MH 30hp, then used a Case 60hp for a year. Finally I bought my own used Bota, about 17hp with hydro. Few years later I traded it for a new JD4300 with hydro. It has about 3500hrs of bush work, snow plowing and general FEL "playing " around. So far no problems and I wouldn't be without it FOR MY USE. Might be different if I was doing field work on flat ground but for the pulling, digging and back-hoe work that I do there is NO comparison. I watched my BIL trying to maneuver his stick shift Massey in the snow this morning so he could hook his forks under the edge of a broken snow plow to lift it and just plain felt sorry for him (and his clutch leg).

/ types of transmissions #3  
The Hst or hydrostatic trans is a very reliable transmission. If I were going to pull a plow all day I would get a geared tractor and maybe if I livedon the flat ground. I dont do that kind of work. I use my L4400 Kubota hst on the hillsides while using the FEL and Rotary brush cutting. I feel that the hst offers a level of saftey when you are changing directions on the hills because the trans never lets go like a geared tractor does when it passes through nuetral or when you have the clutch pushed in. The majority will rave about how it makes using the FEL a lot faster and easier. I would have to agree. My first hst was a IH Cub Cadet lawn tractor and it is 37 years old and still gets a lot of use every year.

/ types of transmissions #4  
Can anyone explain to me in not-too-technical terms the pros and cons of the old collarshift transmissions versus the newer hydrostat transmissions (with such things as synch reverser)?

I'm wondering if the newer technology is more prone to problems, is more complicated/sensitive, if it affects pto etc etc. I don't know anything about either one and I usually have found that the older tractors (though a bit less convenient) are more simple, reliable and solid.
You hain't been here long enough or read enough on TBN to become informed yet.
Do a search and read up and you will learn a lot.

/ types of transmissions #5  
Hondo,

To my knowledge the old collar shifts should be the most robust in terms of mechanical design with gear to gear contact as the main driving force. The synch-reverser should be very reliable but I don not have any personal experience with them.

Our old D-17's Allis-Chalmers used the collar shift transmission with a hi-lo shifter I believe called a power diverter on the right side of the tractor to change ranges. Very robust but needed adjusting at times. You could shift on the go from low to high range but reversing required engagement of the clutch.

/ types of transmissions #6  
Someone could write pages and pages about it. Oh wait, they have.:D Search for "hydrostatic, gear. shuttle" to start. You'll learn more about transmissions than you probably want.

/ types of transmissions #7  
Collar shift pros - less hp loss in the transmission. (About 1.5 hp typical). Good choice for field work and long straight operations (mowing right of ways, etc).

Collar shift cons - least reliable (factor in cost of clutch replacements and MTBF) and hardest to use (especially with a new operator)

Powershift (glideshift, etc) Pros - small hp loss in the transmission. (about 0.5hp)
Easy to use. More reliable than gear trans (due to less clutch operations needed). Best choice for field work and long straight operations (mowing right of ways, etc) and where some loader work is also needed.

Powershift Cons - Cost more than gear trans. Most complex type of transmission.

HST Pros - Easiest to use. Most reliable. (some will argue that point but ask if they have the DATA to back up that opinion....). Most productive for loader work and utility operations. Highest demand and highest resale in the small tractor market.

HST Cons - loses most hp in the transmission (about 1.5 hp). Will run hotter because of that. Not the best choice for field work where the loss of hp is not repaid by the extra flexibility in directional / speed control. Cost is slightly higher than powershift.

NOTE: Transmision R&R cost of all 3 types will be nearly the same. Don't think so? Call the dealer and ask.

I recently bought an implement from a rancher that is on his 11th HST tractor. He keeps getting the latest and greatest with a L5740 being the one he was on. He said "only a fool would buy a gear tractor these days". That's his opinion. I tend to agree with him for general UT work. Field work I would choose a powershift. No way would I want to buy a collar shift unless $$$ was the far and away #1 factor. But, that's just my opinion.

jb

/ types of transmissions #8  
TractorSmart has a good discussion of the different types on its' web site under information:TractorSmart home page

/ types of transmissions #9  
Collar shift cons - least reliable

That's a crock of steaming used horse feed.

Plain old gear crashbox tranny is super reliable.. as all the antique tractors running around with them.

Put 70 years on a new hydro, and abuse the fire out of it, and almost never maintain it.. ( like an old gear antique tractor trans ).. and see where you are..

Ald gear trans will run decades with worn leaky seals.. I'd like to see a hydro run with it's seals worn for decades.. on dirty oil, and no filter, and 1.5" of sand and much in the bottom of the trans sump.....

soundguy

/ types of transmissions #10  
Ald gear trans will run decades with worn leaky seals.. I'd like to see a hydro run with it's seals worn for decades.. on dirty oil, and no filter, and 1.5" of sand and much in the bottom of the trans sump.....

If these transmissions run for decades who puts the sand and much in the transmission sump?? :D

Next how many hours of run time does that run decades involve??:D