new jd 4020 with loader owner

/ new jd 4020 with loader owner #1  

wendelin

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 185
I just bought a john deere 1967 4020 with a farmhand 258 loader.
I would like to have my bucket quick a tach. do you know where I can get the
parts to do this?
also it looks like the loader is a quick a tach loader but the legs you fold down are missing.
If anyone can help me find the part that would be great.
How builds farmhand loader now. I did not find when I did a search for them.
also their are a few windows broken. is an auto body shop the best place to get them fixed?
thanks
wendelin

/ new jd 4020 with loader owner #2  
Making your FEL into a QA setup will probably be a custom setup. The loader side is available from ATI, and the bucket side plates are available at different places for about $150.00 or so-even on eBay.

Sometimes the loader legs are stored in the torque tube if you have one? No Idea about "Farmhand loaders"...If you can post a picture that may help us ID it for you...

A glass shop should be able to help you with replacement glass, just cut a cardboard template.

/ new jd 4020 with loader owner
here are a few pictures of my tractor.
I included 2 pictures of a place where I think the legs should go.
let me know what you think
thanks
wendelin

Attachments

• JD-1.JPG
    JD-1.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 683
  • JD-A.JPG
    JD-A.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 307
  • JD-B.JPG
    JD-B.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 202
  • JD-4.JPG
    JD-4.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 885
   / new jd 4020 with loader owner #4  
I have that same loader, oddly enough on a 4020 too (was on 4450). The legs are missing on yours, you will have to build new ones. We converted the bucket to quick attach. Dad did this as he is metal fabrication guru. If you look at the back of the bucket, imaging the plates welded to the bucket that the pins go through, except detached from the bucket and still pinned to cylinders and booms, then imagine a solid plate welded to front of them (one each side about 3" wide, then hooks welded to front of that plate matching original pin spacing. then you put cross member between each side and that creates a nice carrier to attach to bucket. Second part: Imagine how the bucket looks now with the loader off of it, with pins left in the bucket. Since you robbed the plates off the bucket, new ones will have to be welded on, wider than the ones you originally robbed and new pins placed in them. We used 3/8" steel to do this stuff and very solid welding. This takes a bit of imagination but looking at the picture you posted I can see it perfectly. I hope you can too. If not, see if you can e-mail me. I'll check back here later, hope you get this.

/ new jd 4020 with loader owner #5  
I have that same loader, oddly enough on a 4020 too (was on 4450). The legs are missing on yours, you will have to build new ones. We converted the bucket to quick attach. Dad did this as he is metal fabrication guru. If you look at the back of the bucket, imaging the plates welded to the bucket that the pins go through, except detached from the bucket and still pinned to cylinders and booms, then imagine a solid plate welded to front of them (one each side about 3" wide, then hooks welded to front of that plate matching original pin spacing. then you put cross member between each side and that creates a nice carrier to attach to bucket. Second part: Imagine how the bucket looks now with the loader off of it, with pins left in the bucket. Since you robbed the plates off the bucket, new ones will have to be welded on, wider than the ones you originally robbed and new pins placed in them. We used 3/8" steel to do this stuff and very solid welding. This takes a bit of imagination but looking at the picture you posted I can see it perfectly. I hope you can too. If not, see if you can e-mail me. I'll check back here later, hope you get this.

Also, if you haven't already, start soaking the big nuts on the loader mounting plates with penetrating oil - a great big 1.5" bolt holds loader down with huge nut on bottom on each side of loader mounting frame. Once these get rusted you may have a project getting them loose DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN. I did this and you'll spend a lot of time with a torch and big wrenches with big pipes to get them undone.

/ new jd 4020 with loader owner #6  
For the glass the poster above was correct about making a stencil pattern for the replacement glass. Usually the glass is cut to size and then is tempered afterwards.

I had an open station 4020 years ago, sure was a nice tractor hope you are as happy with yours.

Steve