Making a 2 bottom plow into a 1 bottom plow?

/ Making a 2 bottom plow into a 1 bottom plow? #1  

ky_madman

Tractor
Kubota B7510 HST
Hi Folks,
First post here. Been reading, researching, learning here for a while now.
I read a post on using a bottom plow for a 24hp tractor and someone suggested removing the rear blade from a 2 bottom plow and using it as a single plow. My question is, How well does/will this work?
I have a Kubota B7510 (21HP) and have found a Ford/Dearborn 2X12 w/ Coultiers. Is this feasible or should I just go with a Leinbach 19-12 Single plow. The Leinbach is quite a bit more expensive.
THanks for all suggestions.

/ Making a 2 bottom plow into a 1 bottom plow? #2  
I think it should work just fine.
Try pulling it with both bottoms first.

You may be better off, if you decide to make it a single bottom, pulling off the front bottom because there may be an issue of wheel spacing. (Too narrow)
Wheel spacing is an issue I have with my two bottom plow and I have a larger tractor than you.
I have lots of thoughts none of them correct most likely.

Last edited:
   / Making a 2 bottom plow into a 1 bottom plow? #3  
I have a Dearborn plow, 2x14, and the plow shanks are part of the framework of the plow. If I removed one bottom, the shank would still drag the ground and not let the plow go into the dirt. You may have to cut the shank off to get the plow to work as a 1 bottom, and not be able to make it into a 2 bottom again should you want to. Like Allen said, try it as a 2 bottom first. Those Dearborn plows pull pretty easy compared to the generic type plows you can by now.

/ Making a 2 bottom plow into a 1 bottom plow? #4  
Allen may be right for he has recently used a bottom plow, but it would seem your front plow is NOT the one to drop if do drop one. However, as he to me sort of pointed to, as narrow as your tractor is, it might be the front one to drop if need be.

It would seem you could at least test it if you had to cut off a shank. My FIL had Ford bottom plows, and you could have pulled a shank off but think you might have had to install a spacer back.

/ Making a 2 bottom plow into a 1 bottom plow? #5  
What I said was just a guess. If you do drop the rear bottom, you will have to transfer the landslide to the front.

With the plow mounted and centered properly the point of the front bottom should be 12 inches toward the center of the tractor from the inside sidewall of the rear tire.
This picture, in order to show what I mean needs to be a more direct shot from the rear but you can see that my front bottom is too close to my right tire. My tires need to move out since the plow has to stay where it is.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...49-remember-land-i-going-plow-picture-002.jpg

The reason is so that with the tire in the furrow, the front bottom sees, in my case, 14" of new dirt. My tires need to move out 3 more inches or so. I can't (won't ) do it so I use it as is and it works well.

If your tractor is really narrow, the front bottom MAY run right behind the tire. Maybe not. Mount it up and see.
Post pic's

Here's a brochure. scroll down to the pic of the plow behind the tractor. That will give you a visual idea of the spread between the tires. Of course, the plow in the pic could be a 16 inch plow too.
http://www.ntractorclub.com/forums/manuals/messages/264.html

Last edited:
   / Making a 2 bottom plow into a 1 bottom plow?
Thanks for the advice. I'm still undecided.....I may have found a Single bottom, but won't know for sure until Saturday. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again

/ Making a 2 bottom plow into a 1 bottom plow? #7  
Be sure you can buy replacemnt parts before you buy any old equipment, even a plow.

/ Making a 2 bottom plow into a 1 bottom plow? #8  
I have a Kubota B7800 and a Howse 2 bottom 12" plow. I removed 1 bottom -the rear - to plow a heavy sod area. I'm able to pull both bottoms in fields which have been worked previously.:)