Ballast MORE BALLAST QUESTIONS

/ MORE BALLAST QUESTIONS #1  

Anonymous Poster

I PREVIOUSLY WROTE CONCERNING BALLAST IN ONE TIRE ONLY. I HAVE DECIDED AGAINST PURCHASING A FRONT END LOADER AND INSTEAD AM PURCHASING A DIRT SCOOP BECAUSE THE DIRT SCOOP WILL DO WHAT I NEED IT TO DO AND SAVE ME LOTS OF MONEY. SINCE I WILL NOT HAVE A FEL, DO I NEED THE BALLAST IN THE REAR TIRES? IF I AM USING MOWERS, DIRT SCOOP, BOX BLADE (ONLY REAR 3PT IMPLEMENTS) DO YOU STILL NEED REAR BALLAST? WILL REAR BALLAST HELP TRACTION WITH THOSE IMPLEMENTS? THE JD TRACTOR MANUAL SAYS TO GET RID OF BALLAST IF YOU ARE NOT USING IT. I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE PRO'S AND CONS ON THIS. THANK YOU.

/ MORE BALLAST QUESTIONS #2  
Ron, personally, I would NOT put liquid ballast in the tires unless I needed it. You sometimes need it for a counterweight with a front end loader, and you've said don't need that. However, yes, you sometimes need it simply for traction, and that can certainly include pulling things like plows, blades, or most other "ground engaging" implements. If it were me, I'd try it without ballast, and then decide whether I needed a little more traction.

/ MORE BALLAST QUESTIONS #3  
Bird on tire ballast liquid type will this make the tractor tend to roll over easier on sloped hills if weight is too shift
thanks ed

/ MORE BALLAST QUESTIONS #4  
Ron - I agree with Bird... you should not use any more weight than you need to... especially since you're using the tractor to mow your yard.

Additionally, with the 3ph dirt scoop - you might want to consider some front weight...

Keep us posted on your front scoop. I have been looking for one... it seems that the King Kutter model is about 100 lbs heavier than the others... I would tend to think that weight is good, but if you are close to the lifting capacity of your tractor, then weight might be bad...

Good luck!

/ MORE BALLAST QUESTIONS #5  
Ed, liquid ballast will not increase the liklihood of a roll over. Since you only fill them 75% full, the bulk of the weight is at axle height or lower, and it doesn't slosh around or shift weight enough to be of any concern. I've personally never had one tire with liquid ballast and the other without, so I can't say for sure what effect that would have, and wouldn't want to do it, although a neighbor with an 85hp tractor ran his that way for several months, and I used it helping him bale hay and never "felt" any difference, but I never got on any slopes that amounted to anything either.

/ MORE BALLAST QUESTIONS #6  
<font color=blue>will this make the tractor tend to roll over easier on sloped hills</font color=blue>

I drive a lot on sloped hills. The answer to your question is no...ballast in the tires will only help you stay planted firmly on terra-firma. I suppose that one could argue that if you did roll over, about the time that top wheel was over your head, ballast would tend to carry you the rest of the way a bit quicker! In reality the ballast will keep you on the ground a lot longer which is the main objective

/ MORE BALLAST QUESTIONS #7  
Thanks tony and bird hopefully tony I will not need to have it carry me quicker
thanks edt