Service manual for Cummins 5.9L

/ Service manual for Cummins 5.9L #1  

Jeff244

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK 65C
I recently bought a 1993 Ford F700 with a 5.9L Cummins engine.
I found a Ford service manual on ebay. When I got it, it didn't have any info on the Cummins engine. I would like to get a maintenance/service manual for it.
Would any manual for a 1993 5.9L cover it(Dodge for instance)? Or are there differences depending on what vehicle they are installed in? I just need it for minor engine maintenance and repair, nothing major.

Thanks,
Jeff

/ Service manual for Cummins 5.9L #2  
Yeah it'll work, different applications probably will have subtle differences but if your just wanting maintenance info it will give you what you need.

/ Service manual for Cummins 5.9L #4  
Dealership type manuals usually don't have engine repair information for engines like Cummins and Caterpillar, they use the engine manufacturers manuals. Just get yourself a Cummins manual. You can order them from any Cummins repair facility and you might try looking on ebay. Most all of the Cummins, Cat and DD manuals I have I got on ebay.

/ Service manual for Cummins 5.9L #6  
I'm not sure if that's the one you really want. That is the one that comes with the engine for the owner. It has basic maintenance info in it. It is not the engine overhaul manual that has all the major component repair info. It is the correct B series manual. There are basically two different 5.9L engines. The older B series mechanical engines and the newer ISB electronic engines. Yours is the older (and in my opinion better) B series engine.

One of the first things you should do if you are not sure about the maintenance history is run the overhead (adjust the valves). It's fairly straight forward and easy on these engines.

/ Service manual for Cummins 5.9L
DieselPower,

I do not need to know any overhaul info, that would be way out of my range to do. Would this manual show me how to adjust the valves? If so, then it would be the right manual for me. I really just need the basic maintenance info like minor adjustments, bleeding the fuel lines, etc.

Thanks for the help,
Jeff