Oil & Fuel Oil for yanmar 1700

/ Oil for yanmar 1700 #1  

rbkelso

What type of oil do I add to my Yanmar 1700?How much does it take for an oil change .This is the oil going to the transmission.What is the motor oil if different and what oil filter? Thanks

/ Oil for yanmar 1700 #2  
Start from the beginning. You need an Operator Manual. The one for YM240 is close enough if you can't get one that is specific to YM1700.

'Oil Change' usually means the engine oil, not the transmission. The modern recommendation for the engine is diesel-rated oil, in 15w40 weight. Buy a gallon jug.
Any top brand is recommended (I use Delo) but synthetic isn't needed. That will fill it to the halfway point or more on the dipstick.

For the oil filter, #1334 or #1064. (Individual brands will put their own prefixes ahead of these digits.) Ask for the most widely used Honda oil filter. It should have one of these numbers on it.

The transmission is completely separate. Yanmar specifies 'John Deere 303 equivalent or better' tractor/hydraulic fluid. Buy a 5 gallon pail and expect to use about 4 gallons. (I use Coastal, the cheap generic brand from Autozone.) But before you change it, arrange where to get a replacement transmission filter screen in case the old one cannot be reused. Note that the hydraulics that lift the 3-point linkage in the back also run off the transmission fluid reservoir. If the hydraulics work properly, you don't need to replace the hydraulic fluid immediately before using the tractor.

Back to my main point - get a manual to become familiar with what your tractor needs.

You might like to look at the brochure for the American version of your tractor, referenced in my sig file below.

And welcome here! You will love your Yanmar, as we all do!

/ Oil for yanmar 1700 #3  
Don't know were you are located but I have one that is still good If needed.I was told they rarely go bad but when I purchased my 2000 I noticed an excessive amont of permabond around the mounting plate and went ahead and purchased a new one anyway.It ended up that it was just missing the oring and it cleaned up fine.You would be wecome to it.

/ Oil for yanmar 1700 #4  
Carey you had better luck than I did! On mine the o-ring that is halfway down the filter tube had been replaced by an incorrect fatter one, so when everything was reassembled the filter got distorted. Then that o-ring cemented itself to the filter and to the transmission cavity, over time. I think the screen filtered ok but I destroyed it getting it out.

rbkelso, this is a simple wire mesh strainer. If it looks ok, it can be reused. A new o-ring and cover gasket would be nice, but probably not critical.

/ Oil for yanmar 1700 #5  
California something like that was what I was afraid of.You know the old saying Expect the Worst and Hope for the Best.By the way do you have any documentation on your tillers on oil capacitys.I have a RS1400. Any info would be appreciated.

/ Oil for yanmar 1700 #6  
I don't have any docs for the tiller.

The importer where I bought it, told me to keep the side gearcase filled to the middle of the topmost gear, if I remember correctly. Use a wire for a dipstick. So long as there is no obvious leak don't worry about it. And I think there is a dipstick in the pto gear housing that sets the level an inch or two below the filler. (I'm home in town right now so I can't go out and look).

A dealer advised here that the only point that would ever give you trouble is the offside bearing, at the far end of the tine shaft. He advised to replace the present 30 year old bearing with a new sealed bearing before the old dirty and dry one seizes and chews up the shaft or the bearing enclosure. Any bearing house should stock it, its a standard metric bearing.

Hopefully someone will post who knows more about these.