Can I use a gas fuel filter for diesel fuel?

/ Can I use a gas fuel filter for diesel fuel? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, KubotaL4300, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
The upgrade version of my JD 5520shows an in-line fuel filter in additon to the regular one. I know this because I have to replace some degraded rubber hose and I looked in the parts book. The newer version of the same model shows that in-line filter. As expected, it's about quadruple the price.

It's just a simple in-line type filter with 3/8 male stubs on both ends and hose clams. I could buy one at Wal-Mart or any parts store.
But--would the gas filter hold up to diesel? Seems like it would but I thought to ask. Don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish.

/ Can I use a gas fuel filter for diesel fuel? #2  
I have used plenty of times never had any problems. when I had my 5510 the starter solenoid quit had to pull half the steering column apart to find, deere wanted 169.00. So I went to napa and for less than 15 bucks was up and running again.Why is your line degraded already? Good luck...

/ Can I use a gas fuel filter for diesel fuel? #3  
Shouldn't be a problem at all. Gas or diesel the filter itself will never know the difference.

/ Can I use a gas fuel filter for diesel fuel?
I have used plenty of times never had any problems. when I had my 5510 the starter solenoid quit had to pull half the steering column apart to find, deere wanted 169.00. So I went to napa and for less than 15 bucks was up and running again.Why is your line degraded already? Good luck...

The return line had a bunch of cracks on the outside of it and had started to leak. The inside looks fine but I figure Deere added the in-line filter for some unknown reason that I was not aware of. Since changing the fuel line involves draining the fuel and all sorts of stuff I figure to head 'em off at the pass and think ahead. Good idea?

/ Can I use a gas fuel filter for diesel fuel? #5  
Try to cross over the inline filter number; chances are it is not just a regular 15~30 micron filter; as there is no reason to try to filter the same size debris as the factory filter, probably a stainless steel mesh strainer or a paper filter that filters in the 50-100 micron size to act as a pre-filter. Lots of skid steer owners in my area have put regular 3/8" inline filters on the equipment to find they plug up quickly, but the original equipment numbers cross over to filters that look just like the usual inline, but are actually #100, sometimes #120 mesh wire, which falls around 120-150 microns. Wix/NAPA filters offer these filters, and they do look just like a regular inline.

As for a gas vs diesel filter, it will not be a problem, but I would not trust some of the plastic see-through filters with some bio-diesel blends, nor any plastic filter that is 2 halves glued together, nor any that have the filter element glued in place vs mechanical means of holding the element in place.

Try to cross over the inline filter number; chances are it is not just a regular 15~30 micron filter; as there is no reason to try to filter the same size debris as the factory filter, probably a stainless steel mesh strainer or a paper filter that filters in the 50-100 micron size to act as a pre-filter. Lots of skid steer owners in my area have put regular 3/8" inline filters on the equipment to find they plug up quickly, but the original equipment numbers cross over to filters that look just like the usual inline, but are actually #100, sometimes #120 mesh wire, which falls around 120-150 microns. Wix/NAPA filters offer these filters, and they do look just like a regular inline.

As for a gas vs diesel filter, it will not be a problem, but I would not trust some of the plastic see-through filters with some bio-diesel blends, nor any plastic filter that is 2 halves glued together, nor any that have the filter element glued in place vs mechanical means of holding the element in place.

Good catch--I just came back from the dealer with one and, as you say, it looks like an in-line filter but is really an in-line strainer. Not a filter at all but a hedge against something bigger getting into the tank and plugging the 3/8" fuel line. I bought the Deere item and glad I did. Thanks.

/ Can I use a gas fuel filter for diesel fuel? #7  
Went out to the barn and found the 2008 NAPA Filter data spec catalog and found 3 part numbers: 3253 for Case and other loaders, #120 SS mesh, 3/8" line, smooth line (no nipple/barb) on outlet side, 3270, same as above except has barbs on both ends and is about 0.20" larger in diameter, and a 3248 which has 1/2" lines and filters with #100 mesh. All the above state safe for gasoline or diesel. Quite a few regular filters also state OK with diesel, even filters that are used on gasoline vehicles per OE; but some do not state as safe, which leads me to think diesel and/or diesel/bio-diesel blends may attack the plastic material and/or the glue used in some filters. Bio-diesel is a pretty strong solvent.

LRH

Your posts will prove to be the answer for a "tractor won't start" problem in the future. The tractor will have fuel and will crank but not fully start or will run with reduced power. It will have a 3/8" flex fuel line with a 3/16" piece of crud stuck at a bend in the line. The fuel tank will be in the back of the tractor and will most likely involve a Deere because they prefer it that way.
I'm glad I put my strainer in. Well, I'm about to put it in --it's too cold right now.

/ Can I use a gas fuel filter for diesel fuel? #9  
Good catch--I just came back from the dealer with one and, as you say, it looks like an in-line filter but is really an in-line strainer. Not a filter at all but a hedge against something bigger getting into the tank and plugging the 3/8" fuel line. I bought the Deere item and glad I did. Thanks.
There is a big difernce between a strainer and a filter.
I use strainers on my fuel storage system to keep the bigger stuff from getting into the filter.

There is a big difernce between a strainer and a filter.
I use strainers on my fuel storage system to keep the bigger stuff from getting into the filter.

LB--That;s the way this is set up. The small in-line cannister filter is back by the tank at the rear of the tractor. The line then routes to the front of the tractor and hooks into the normal water trap regular filter. I figure there must have been probs with small pieces of stuff getting caught at the small bends in the fuel line. Changing that line is not easy and could be time consuming to diagnose.