Chaging hydraulic cylinder seals

/ Chaging hydraulic cylinder seals #1  

Molokai

Anyone evered opened a john deere cylinder before? I need help to replace the seals cant get the rod out HELP PLEASE

/ Chaging hydraulic cylinder seals #2  
Morning,

Trust me on this one, you want to take it to a shop and have them do it. On one of mine it took two tractors to pull it a part and then they had to use a press setup to get it back together. This was on a older Dual loader. Hope this helps.

/ Chaging hydraulic cylinder seals #3  
Some are hard, some are easy. Some are total "but nusters" as my dyslexic friends say. Most are in the tough to not bad range. Trick is to loosen the gland nuts before removing the cylinder from the machine. The correct tool is also very much helpful.

The cost of the packing is about 20-50 bucks. The labor cost at a shop may be 50 - 300 bucks. Most are going to be in the 100-150 range. I had a shop do one (1) cylinder and was charged over $350. I did the other 6 cylinders on the backhoe myself for a little less money, including the cost of the tools.

jb

/ Chaging hydraulic cylinder seals #4  
Anyone evered opened a john deere cylinder before? I need help to replace the seals cant get the rod out HELP PLEASE

You might save yourself some trouble and find a hydraulic shop nearby......it can be a PIA just to get the cylinders off!:eek: I was going to do some myself untill I priced the wrench, parts, time, etc.....62.00 +- for a cylinder by a trained professional was OK by me. If you persist and want to buy a wrench.....check sears online for a "spanner: wrench. Be careful on the centers for there are alot of diffrent sizes........also.....you might post in the hydraulic section......may get more answers.

/ Chaging hydraulic cylinder seals #5  
On my "steer" cylinders, which are single action cylinders, the hydraulic guy took the hose off, and used a tool (don't remember if it was a pair of pliers or a screwdriver) to pop something loose on the end of the cylinder. Then the whole guts came right out. Install was even easier. He matched up the seals, after JD sent me the wrong kit for $130, and only charged me $40 for everything. The other one, he came out to the house so I wouldn't have to remove it from the tractor.
David from jax

/ Chaging hydraulic cylinder seals #6  
on some of the newer j.d. cylinders, if it has the wire type snapring in it, you need to buy the kit(about 42 bucks). in the kit is a orange "tool" you need to get it apart. it aint that bad.