Older used vs. Newer used

/ Older used vs. Newer used #1  

bhgkiks

I am looking for a 40-45 HP diesel (only) tractor to bush hog and keep up 2-50 acre fields. I want to try and go with a 6' bush hog so I really dont want to go below 40HP.

I am considering either an older model Ford 3000 type tractor in the $3500-$4500 range. OR a newer Massey 245 in the $8000 range, with the hopes that it would require less repair/maintenance.

I am clear that the tractor must have: a good strong 3pt lift, 2-stage clutch and power steering. After that, I really don't care what it looks like or any other options.

I am leaning towards the older Ford type tractor and keeping some money in the bank for more implements and a future engine/clutch rebuild.

Any comments?

/ Older used vs. Newer used #2  
ford 3000 is 38hp.. but will run a 6' hog.

me? I'd go for a ford 861D... few years older, and leas gear choices ( 5spd vs 8spd ).. but you can find them with PS as well, and they have a 2-stage clutch.. and are about 10hp more than the 3000... ( the 63/64 4000 is nothing more than an 801 with different tin and a few cosmetic and non critical changes.. )

100ac on a 6' mower eh? plan on 50 hours or so of cutting...

Me? I'd kick up to 70hp and get a ford 5000 and a 10' mower.. probably taking 2600$ for the mower, and 5000$ for the tractor.. just about the best one ford made... get a later 256ci diesel with better steering gear and the 8spd.. Personally I'd avoid the 5200 ( rowcrop flat platform ).. as they are harder to service..

a good 4000 3 cyl moel would be nice.. but is not enough hp for the 10' mower.. and 7' single spindle mowers are IMHO bad designs ..

soundguy

/ Older used vs. Newer used #3  
I am looking for a 40-45 HP diesel (only) tractor to bush hog and keep up 2-50 acre fields. I want to try and go with a 6' bush hog so I really dont want to go below 40HP.

I am considering either an older model Ford 3000 type tractor in the $3500-$4500 range. OR a newer Massey 245 in the $8000 range, with the hopes that it would require less repair/maintenance.

I am clear that the tractor must have: a good strong 3pt lift, 2-stage clutch and power steering. After that, I really don't care what it looks like or any other options.

I am leaning towards the older Ford type tractor and keeping some money in the bank for more implements and a future engine/clutch rebuild.

Any comments?

I've owned a 3000 gasser and a 3000 diesel. Still own a 150 Massey which isn't too much different than a 245. (Same tranny/engine combo) BOTH are (were) good tractors in general. In good condition, either would do the job. The Massey would do that much mowing on quite a bit less fuel. The Perkins diesel is among the best ever built as far as reliability and fuel efficiency.

My desicion would be based on condition of each tractor. If one is in significantly better condition than the other, I'd go that route. The Massey is more money, but is it in better over-all condition? Around these parts, a GOOD 3000 brings closer to $5000. When I see 'em in the $3500 range, I'm a little skeptical. $8000 for a 245 is in the upper range of their price here locally.

Here's a 245 available here locally. VERY good condition. (I've seen it in person) This is about normal price range here.
245 massey tractor

Last edited:
   / Older used vs. Newer used #4  
No joke on the 50 hours or so to mow that size fields.
Last summer my first ever tractor time was mowing a 23-24 acre row cropped field with my Kioti DK45 and a Bush Hog 5 ft Squeeler. It took 14-15 hours easy.

Warhammer

ford 3000 is 38hp.. but will run a 6' hog.

100ac on a 6' mower eh? plan on 50 hours or so of cutting...

/ Older used vs. Newer used #5  
   / Older used vs. Newer used #6  

Any comments?

I would instead consider several of the top brands in tractors so as not to be limited in choices. I would be more concerned about finding a good used tractor in good condition with 50 to 70 hp. I would consider a pull type as well as a 3pt mower either should have a pto slip clutch with a heavy duty gear box on the deck.

It is a very common mistake to start off with a tractor too small for the job, we have all been there and done that, a 60 hp tractor would be ideal and will handle the jobs a 40 hp can only try to do.

Don't know where you are planning on using the tractor but being a native of NOLA I know the grass grows fast and requires frequent cutting so you need to be able to clip it fast enough to get the job done.

Two stage clutch, I would go with an independent pto.

Steve

/ Older used vs. Newer used #7  
I think soundguy gave you pretty good advice . . . I run a 10' mower on a 4610 Ford (62hp engine, 52 pto). Mine is a mid-1980's model. It's reliable and pulls the 10' mower well. Parts are available. I like tractor seat time, but a 6' mower for 100 acres might drive me a little batty.

/ Older used vs. Newer used #8  
them old ford diesels are hard to beat. i've got a 1978 ford 3600 myself. my late dad bought new, it has 1200 hours on it, in tractor hours thats still relativly new. it has nice power, 8 by 2 trans, easy to use and get used to. masseys are another tough tractor. i was never to impressed with the john deeres, i'm sure they are fine tractors but they just never really fit me for some reason. a buddy has a 2030 and i hate using it, its just not made for a tall long legged fellow. but about any tractor made 15 years ago are good one in my book, they don't have all that electronic crap the new ones have, my other tractor a kioti dk 55 is a good tractor but i usually jump on the ford and the kioti just sits around, thats the reason i'm selling it, it just don't get used any. i like the new ones with the electronic crap on them but the old ones are more relyable.

/ Older used vs. Newer used
I should clarify that one of the fields I need to mow is a one time deal. I know that it will take me 2-3 days, but it won't justify buying a 60 hp tractor to cut this field one time. Another consideration is that I only have a 1/2 ton truck to move the tractor around with. The rest of the tractors life will be used to keep up/maintain the green spaces on a subdivision, probably about 15-20 acres of cutting on a constant basis and and 10 acres of 2x/year "clean up".

That's how I arrived at the 40 hp size tractor need. I found a place that specializes in refurbing (read: repainting) Ford Diesels....I will go there next and see what I can find. Their prices seem to be in the $4000-$5000 range for freshly painted units.

/ Older used vs. Newer used #10  
With your towvehivle and info in that last post.. I'd say get a ford 3X00, or 8XX/ 4 cyl 4000 model.

That will get you between 38 and 50 hp, and all will pull a 6' hog, and all couuld be trailered on a 16' tandem axle 'car hauler' with that 6' mower, behind a 1/2 ton truck.

a good 3x00 will likely run you from 4000-6000$. Contrast that to an 8XX model which will have more hp ( and is older ).. you can find then in the 3000-4000 range.

stick a 6' mower with that.. say.. 6001200$ depending on brand...

due to your budget I forsee a KK or howse 6' medium duty mower, and a ford 8xx plus a 50$ orc if the 8XX is not a live/independent pto model. ( 5 or 10 speed ).. and no.. I would not reccomend the 10 speed SOS trany 871, 881...

My dodge 1500 pulls my 16' trailer and hundred series tractors + implements all over with no problems.

larger 3 cyl 4XXX series and the 5000 will be just too large for a 1/2 ton truck I'm afraid.. maybee if you had a 20' gooseneck tri-axle with 3 sets of brakes a heavy suspension and tow package, and a big v8.. like a 5.3+ you could do it.. but.....

soundguy