High spot in blacktop - Can't get shed door open

/ High spot in blacktop - Can't get shed door open #1  

rixtory

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200
Help - Can't get my tractor out of the shed due to a new high spot in the 4 year old blacktop driveway - About 2' by 2' raised up about 2 inches this winter -
Does anyone know if it would go down on its own, or will I need to cut an inch off the shed door (Hate to do that...)

/ High spot in blacktop - Can't get shed door open #2  
Is it frost heave? If so, it should go down. I wonder why it took 4 years to heave. Is there any chance the shed door is sagged too?

Can you grind it down? We do that with concrete when plaza walks heave and the store doors won't clear.

/ High spot in blacktop - Can't get shed door open #3  
It will go down. But prepare for the same thing next year by shortening the door and extending it with a floating panel or using a rubber or vinyl rub strip, or trenching a slice for an electric heater cord used to keep water pipes from freezing. Mine does the same thing every other year or so. Not sure how to prevent it. I had the barn gutters fixed last fall, and no frost heave yet.

/ High spot in blacktop - Can't get shed door open #4  
Help - Can't get my tractor out of the shed due to a new high spot in the 4 year old blacktop driveway - About 2' by 2' raised up about 2 inches this winter -
Does anyone know if it would go down on its own, or will I need to cut an inch off the shed door (Hate to do that...)

let the air out of your tractor tires,or use a torch as asphalt will melt in a way so u can get your tractor out of the shed

/ High spot in blacktop - Can't get shed door open #5  
Don't think that letting the air of the tires will help at all. The way I read it was that the bottom edge of the door was hitting the highspot on the asphalt, thus preventing the door from opening completely.

/ High spot in blacktop - Can't get shed door open
yes, That is correct. the bottom of the door is hitting the upheaved portion of blacktop. Frost Heave. Sounds about right. I hop it goes down.
I like the idea of putting a chunk of rubber flap on the bottom of teh door if I end up having to cut a piece off.
I was finally warm here in PA today, so maybe it will go down sooner rather then later - I can wait another week of so and just use the side door to get in. If it doesn't go down, I guess I will pull the hinges and cut the bottom.

I thought about some sort of grinding or heating the alphalt with a torch, but I don't think that will do it

/ High spot in blacktop - Can't get shed door open #7  
Not sure how to prevent it.

To prevent frost heave you have to eliminate the water supply to the area.

One way of doing this to dig out the area to below the frost line and replace the soil with a very coarse granular material that will not allow water to rise into the frost zone by capillary action. This method will only work if the topography is such that there are no permeable side hills that will allow the water pore pressure to build up and just saturate the area through natural water pressure.:D

/ High spot in blacktop - Can't get shed door open #8  
I've come across something like this before and found chunks of concrete under the gravel that the frost pushed up. I would call the contractor that did the driveway, while it's not under warranty, he should be aware of the soil conditions in the area and come up with a solution. If you end up doing something similar to what Egon suggested, I would dig out along the entire length of the door to eliminate any chances of other areas raising in the future. You could dig it out and put the stone in yourself and have the paver patch it in or have them do it all.

Jeff

/ High spot in blacktop - Can't get shed door open #9  

What type of door is on the garage in question? It sounds like it is a swing out door. Instead of going the route of grinding the blacktop or digging up the apron area of your garage and fixing the base, perhaps changing the garage door to a roll up or sliding variety would be a better long term solution to the problem.

Cheers

Brian

/ High spot in blacktop - Can't get shed door open #10  
What type of door is on the garage in question? It sounds like it is a swing out door. Instead of going the route of grinding the blacktop or digging up the apron area of your garage and fixing the base, perhaps changing the garage door to a roll up or sliding variety would be a better long term solution to the problem.

Cheers

Brian

A sliding door may not fix the problem. I have this same issue with my barn with a sliding door. In the winter I can not get it open due to Frost heave. Another problem with the slider that I have is if the rain blows from a certain direction it will form an ice pool under the door which further ices the door shut. Fixing this is on my to do list.

An overhead door would fix problem. Only potential issue with an overhead is that you may need to cut the lock slot in your track bigger to allow the door the ability to lock when the door is rasied up slightly from the frost heave. Of course, in the summer you would have a little slop with your door in the lock position which is no big deal.