how to tell if gas is mixed with oil

/ how to tell if gas is mixed with oil #1  

GaryS

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3901 & LA525
I "found" a few gas cans in the garage and can no longer remember if they have straight gas or a mix. Is there anyway to tell?

I plan on mixing it with new gas and just burning it in the push mower - and concerns with me doing that?

gary

/ how to tell if gas is mixed with oil #2  
Sometimes you can tell by color. You can feel the oil if it is a oil/gas mix. If you do run it in a mower, and it does have oil in it, it will smoke a little.

/ how to tell if gas is mixed with oil #3  
we use a 2 cycle oil that dyes the mix blue-black on our golf course.havent seen any gas or diesel that color from the pump.

/ how to tell if gas is mixed with oil #4  
Unless it's MANY gallons, I'd not worry about it and dispose of it. Great bonfire starter! Some of my older machines, especially the two strokes, really like fresh mix.

/ how to tell if gas is mixed with oil #5  
Other than looking to see if the 2 cycle oil used had a dye or doing the "slippery finger" test a lab test would be the only real way. Personally I would just use it in the mower. The worst that will happen is it might foul the spark plug which can easily be cleaned.

/ how to tell if gas is mixed with oil #6  
add straight gas and dont ever give it another thought. PLEASE do not use it to start a BOMB FIRE!!!! Bon fires can be lit with some diesel or kerosine NEVER gasoline.

/ how to tell if gas is mixed with oil #7  
I have a 1974 dodge power wagon that I pour the end of the year pre mix in. A 40 to one ratio turns into almost nothing when put in a 20 gallon tank.

/ how to tell if gas is mixed with oil #9  
i second the do not burn gas suggestion.gas goes off too fast to really impart
good fire starting characteristics.besides,just too dangerous[dont ask how i know].you will be well served to start your fires using something oilier that burns rather than flashes.mixes of diesel and hydraulic stick to piles well.good luck and be safe. michael

/ how to tell if gas is mixed with oil #10  
I "found" a few gas cans in the garage and can no longer remember if they have straight gas or a mix. Is there anyway to tell?

I plan on mixing it with new gas and just burning it in the push mower - and concerns with me doing that?

gary

Gary, here's the answer to your question.

Take a piece of white notebook paper, and put a drop of the gasoline on it. Then let the gas evaporate. If it is gasoline only (unmixed), then the paper will dry completely. If there is oil mixed in it, you will have an oil spot remaining on the paper after the gasoline has evaporated.

Good luck with it!