m5640, m5040, mx5100, l4400, suggestions??

/ m5640, m5040, mx5100, l4400, suggestions?? #1  

GuideUncle

Tractor
JD 5203 MFWD 553 FEL
I've been shopping for a 45-50 horse 4wd utility tractor for a few months. I'm new to tractors and Kubota, so I could use some help. I'll be using it in the woods a lot, planning to buy a 3ph winch as well. Also I will do some loader work, but that is secondary. I really like the m5040, but it is expensive, and larger and heavier than the other machines I've looked at, which translates into more impact to my woods.

The mx5100 and l4400 are more the size I am looking for and fit my budget better, but I'm worried about 3ph weight capacity. If I put a winch on the back and then start pulling big logs I'm worried about ripping the top link off or doing some other damage. The 3ph on these machines looks to me very delicate compared to the m5040.

To add more confusion to the process my dealer told me today that he expects to get a couple m5640s in this summer. He said that the 5640 is very similar to the m4800, with a beefier 3ph than the mx5100.

In addition there is a nice m5700 that goes on the auction block in a week... It seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, but I wasn't planning to buy something so soon and don't want to rush into the first "good deal" that I come across.

So I would appreciate any thoughts and comments. Am I silly for worrying about the 3ph capacity on the 5100 and 4400? Are those machines too small for what I want to do? Are there many good condition 5700s or 6800s out there, in case I pass up this one?

/ m5640, m5040, mx5100, l4400, suggestions?? #2  
Hi and welcome to TBN.
I'm partial to the Kubota M series tractors, I like them a lot. I'm not familiar with the M5640 that you mentioned, is that a new model?
I don't know where you are located or anything about your proposed uses or the land you'll be working other than the fact that you'll be in the woods a lot. If I was in the woods a lot I'd go with either the hydraulic shuttle or an HST transmission.

/ m5640, m5040, mx5100, l4400, suggestions?? #3  
A used M5700 might be the best of the list - big, strong, and a little easier on your checkbook. All are good machines. Using a winch is like anything else, there's a right way and a wrong way to hitch the load. The winch itself could be handled with ease by any of the models you are considering. It's when a log is drawn in too close that you can get into trouble. A log needs to be hitched with enough slack that the outer end stays on the ground. If puilling with the cable, a mid-point snatch block lowers the pulling point. For woods operation, Ag tires are taller and get a better bite. The M's have good ground clearance (nice if you are driving over tops). Last time I looked there were over twenty M6800's for sale at Tractorhouse.com.

/ m5640, m5040, mx5100, l4400, suggestions??
The M5640SU is a new model. My dealer said he won't have any in until July or so. He copied me the spec sheet, it looks similar to the m4800, I believe.

I'm definitely planning on getting Ag tires, and I agree that the extra ground clearance of the M series would be a big plus in the woods. My only worry with something like an M5040, is that it will be too heavy and large, limiting where I can go in the woods and increasing the amount of damage I do to the ground.

My biggest worry about an L4400 or MX5100 is that they 3ph toplink is attached to just a small channel iron with a few bolts. I can't help but picture that tearing off with a large hitch of logs behind me. For this reason and it's low weight I've pretty much written off the L4400. But I'm still considering the mx5100.

I'll have to see what the price is on this 5700, if they sell for just a few thousand less than new, I'll probably go with a new machine.

/ m5640, m5040, mx5100, l4400, suggestions?? #5  
My biggest worry about an L4400 or MX5100 is that they 3ph toplink is attached to just a small channel iron with a few bolts. I can't help but picture that tearing off with a large hitch of logs behind me. For this reason and it's low weight I've pretty much written off the L4400. But I'm still considering the mx5100.

I'll have to see what the price is on this 5700, if they sell for just a few thousand less than new, I'll probably go with a new machine.
That top link is not subject to the high forces you are fearing. In the woods, excessive size and particularly length can be a real problem. We have an L3450 and it is great in the woods. The Mahindra 7520 is big enuf that you sometimes have to push the woods out of your way even when yould rather not.

I think you should seriously consider the smaller tractor. With loaded AGs and proper ballasting it will be very capable...and nimble!
larry

/ m5640, m5040, mx5100, l4400, suggestions?? #6  
Unless you continually hook to the top of the winch they pull or drag from the bottom utilizing the lower links. The size of the winch will also make a difference on potential damage to the three point. Do not buy more of a winch then the tractor can handle.

/ m5640, m5040, mx5100, l4400, suggestions?? #7  
If you're thinking of opting for the xx40 series, you might look at the 7040 if you intend to do much FEL work. That model begins with limited slip front differential, something useful esp. since they tend to be a bit light on their feet anyway. Believe they increase in 1500 increments from the 5040...the M series aren't cheap but for me it's been worth it. bb

/ m5640, m5040, mx5100, l4400, suggestions?? #8  
I have both an MX5000 and an L4300. They're the predecessors to the MX5100 and L4400. The 3PH and rear axle assembly looks to be virtually the same on my two tractors and both have proven plenty tough & strong enough to date. Both tractors have loaders.

I've been doing a fair amount of firewood cutting and clearing of diseased pine trees. Nothing really big. Besides I'm working hedgerows and open woods, not dense woods. Both tractors have worked out extremely well, but I haven't done much skidding.

The L4300 has a bucket grapple which allows me to grab a pine tree (10 to 12" dia.) and deposit it on top of a burn pile. If they're tall, I might cut them in two before doing this....mostly to allow passage between neighboring trees (planted on 20' centers).

The MX5000 lets me pick up 12' to 15' x12" hickory or locust logs and load them on my 20' pipe trailer using chains and the bucket hooks (it shows no strain when doing this and could probably go significantly bigger). Then when the trailer's full, the tractor pulls it out of the muddy field to the roadside where it can be hooked up to a 2WD truck.

Like you, I really wanted an M5040 or, even better, an M6040; but could not justify the cost. Turned out the MX and the L have been just about perfect...though if forced to choose one, I'd opt for the MX. The extra weight and beef has come in handy a few times.

Being more compact and lighter than the M's, they both load and tow more easily on the pipe trailer. Plus they are quite maneuverable around trees, rocks and obstacles. With their loaders off, they feel like sports cars compared to a similarly powered Ag tractor.

If you can afford it, spring for the M. You'll find ways to use the extra weight and muscle down the road. But if money's tight, the MX or L will get the job done, IMHO.
Bob

/ m5640, m5040, mx5100, l4400, suggestions??
Well... now you guys are making me reconsider the mx5100. I still like it over the l4400, a little extra weight and hp, without too much extra size. Do you know if the mx is available with a shuttle shift? I had a friend (w/ GST) strongly recommend the shuttle if I'll be doing much loader work.

My original idea was to get a smaller machine that would be more nimble. But as I've mentioned before the M40 series is tempting.

Does anyone have any thoughts or info on that m5640SU?

/ m5640, m5040, mx5100, l4400, suggestions?? #10  
Yea, I read somewhere that the M5640su will have a partially synchronized trans. If I were you, I would get the 5040 with hydraulic shuttle, you can't beat that trans for loader work, plus you get a wet clutch.