A bit less sport, a bit more utility?

/ A bit less sport, a bit more utility? #1  

KentT

Elite Member
Tractor
1993 Power Trac 1430 w/Kubota diesel engine
What do you think of this look for the 450 SE? I wanted it to look a bit more utilitarian or worklike...
3400886497_d690904845.jpg

3400881337_5cb8866b65.jpg

3400885855_b84c5aeb82.jpg

3401691110_57b79bb48b.jpg

3400885143_9401a9fd1e.jpg

Here's a slideshow of larger pics, if interested:
Rhino Evolution

Still waiting on windshield (backordered), skid plates/stick stoppers (should be here this week) and correct mounting plate for the winch (also should be here this week)...

Meanwhile, I have gotten a chance to get it in the woods for a little while and get some scratches on it. Here, the state park trails don't open for ATVs until May 1st, so I'm limited to riding on private property for now -- and I don't know that many kindly landowners... :(

/ A bit less sport, a bit more utility? #2  
i think it looks like a mall-cruiser -- :rolleyes:

i am trying to get mine to state land, but can't seem to find the time!

she helped me spread 3-1/2 ton of horse manure over the weekend!

/ A bit less sport, a bit more utility?
i think it looks like a mall-cruiser -- :rolleyes:

i am trying to get mine to state land, but can't seem to find the time!

she helped me spread 3-1/2 ton of horse manure over the weekend!
Mall cruiser? :confused::confused:

I finally got the tires a little dirty... :):)

There's only four state parks left in Massachusetts that you can ride them in, and all of them are in the Berkshires. Closest is over an hour away from me... :(:(

/ A bit less sport, a bit more utility? #4  
Looks good, I like the white lettered tires. There has got to be a better place for the spare though, doesn't that block your view of the ground in front of the passenger tire. In tight areas that could cause some problems...

Looks good, I like the white lettered tires. There has got to be a better place for the spare though, doesn't that block your view of the ground in front of the passenger tire. In tight areas that could cause some problems...

It blocks the view a bit, for sure... I've only spent about an hour driving it since I mounted it. We'll see...

I really struggled with this one -- because I wanted to carry a spare. Some of the 4x4 clubs here require you to carry a full-size spare if you ride with them. Pus, I didn't want to risk getting stuck somewhere with tire damage I couldn't plug.

If you put it in the bed, it takes up most of the 31x44 bed. If you mount it on the rear of the cage, you prevent using a back window. If you put it on a receiver hitch mount, you have to remove it (mount and all) to open the tailgate or dump the bed. The only rear swing-out one permanently prevents the bed from dumping...

This seemed the best compromise. Remove two large thumb-screws and it tilts forward so you can open the hood...

/ A bit less sport, a bit more utility? #6  
It blocks the view a bit, for sure... I've only spent about an hour driving it since I mounted it. We'll see...

I really struggled with this one -- because I wanted to carry a spare. Some of the 4x4 clubs here require you to carry a full-size spare if you ride with them. Pus, I didn't want to risk getting stuck somewhere with tire damage I couldn't plug.

If you put it in the bed, it takes up most of the 31x44 bed. If you mount it on the rear of the cage, you prevent using a back window. If you put it on a receiver hitch mount, you have to remove it (mount and all) to open the tailgate or dump the bed. The only rear swing-out one permanently prevents the bed from dumping...

This seemed the best compromise. Remove two large thumb-screws and it tilts forward so you can open the hood...

Ive never heard of a full size spare being required.:eek: And I used to think we had some pretty restrictive rules lol. Do you have to take a jack too???:rolleyes: In all my years of ATV'ing ive never destroyed a tire to a point where it couldnt be plugged totally, or at least to a slow leak (and im REALLY hard on gear). Even if the tire was destroyed, you likely could limp it out on the rim.

Personally id just keep it in the bed when going out where its required because i like to use my racks. Or just build a temporary mount for the reciever, maybe something that will fold or rotate out of the way to allow you to dump, but i cant see requiring the use of the dump bed on a trail.

/ A bit less sport, a bit more utility? #7  
In all my years of ATV'ing ive never destroyed a tire to a point where it couldnt be plugged totally, or at least to a slow leak (and im REALLY hard on gear). Even if the tire was destroyed, you likely could limp it out on the rim.

I have to agree. I live and work in an area that's more remote than about 99.5% of this country's population lives. That's no exaggeration. I can be 50 miles or more easily from the nearest piece of pavement. My zip code has 325 people per the last US Census. I've had my 4 wheelers out in this country chasing cows and hunting deer and elk since there were 3 wheelers. I've never worried on or needed a spare tire THAT bad! I will carry a can of that inflatable flat tire stuff if I don't want to worry about hiking out 20 miles to my truck.

Seems like it's only use is to be a pretty toy.

Well, I'm not exactly making up reasons to spend money... :confused:

Directly from the New England 4-Wheelers site;

Vehicle size is limited to 70 inches at its widest point. There is no limit to wheelbase length, but it is recommended not to exceed 106 inches due to the breakover angle. A tow hook is mandatory in the front of the vehicle. A hook or attachment point is required for the rear. All vehicles MUST carry a tow strap with loops (no metal hooks) rated at least 20,000 pounds, at least 20 feet in length, a 40 channel CB radio, fire extinguisher, full size spare tire, and first aid kit. Metal whip antennas are not allowed. Maximum antenna length is not to exceed six feet in length. Open topped vehicles must have a rollbar. All vehicles must have seat belts for all occupants. Minimum tire size is 31 inches. Maximum tire size allowed is 38.5 inches. A spare tire of equal diameter to your road tires is mandatory.

We are the New England 4 Wheelers, Inc. - New England 4 Wheelers Inc.

I might be able to debate the tire size requirement because that is a measure of ground clearance, I can't as easily refute the requirement for a spare....

Meanwhile, the winch is mounted, and the stick stoppers and skid plates showed up last night. Hope to get them on by the weekend and hit the woods on Saturday. Only add-on remaining is the windshield, still on backorder, but I can certainly hit the woods without it...

3417236637_dd778be3c8.jpg

Last edited:
   / A bit less sport, a bit more utility? #10  
Ahhhhh I think you mised this. This is a Jeep club.

The New England 4 Wheelers, Inc. is a family oriented four-wheel drive club created to promote the sport of recreational four wheel driving on primitive roads. Vehicles are limited to Jeep type sport utility vehicles that are narrow, lightweight and agile like Jeep CJs, YJs, TJs, Cherokees, Suzukis, Defender 90s, Scouts, and other vehicles of this genre.