Towing a NH T2310 in a dump trailer?

/ Towing a NH T2310 in a dump trailer? #1  

tommcintire

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland T2310
Wondering if anyone has hauled a T2310 (the newer version of the TC40) in a dump trailer? We are getting one (being prepped now) and would like to keep our "trailer collection" to a minimum. To that end, we are contemplating a 16 foot dump trailer (with 9500 lb payload capacity). We are getting the tractor with a Woods BH90x backhoe, and with both that and the bucket, it would be a bit long for the trailer we are contemplating, but we could overhang the bucket on the front of the dump trailer.

Anyone done something similar? Would mostly be for local trips, not for long distance stuff...

Thanks!

-Tom

/ Towing a NH T2310 in a dump trailer? #2  
Welcome to TBN!

The final answer will depend on how these questions are answered:

Is your tow vehicle rated for towing the total load.

Is trailer a gooseneck or a bumper hitch? Gooseneck is more stable.

Will you be able to load the tractor package..you must drive forward to hang the FEL off the front...back hoe will be lots of rear weight...will this overbalance backward when loading? Remember that loading on a slope can change these parameters...not same as flat ground.

Will ramps be sufficiently stable to accomplish this, properly rated.

Is the ramp attachment at the trailer rated for the weight?

If all above are OK, then it will be OK.

/ Towing a NH T2310 in a dump trailer?
Thanks for the reply... We are deciding which makes more sense, and are leaning gooseneck. The wife has a 1 ton dually rated to tow 19,200. So, on that front, we have overkill... The trailer & ramps are rated for the weight we'd be loading.

Not sure if we will "overbalance" or not when loading. The dealer I talked to didn't think it would be an issue with the trailer he recommended (a 6CAM16 with the extra width option).

One trick I know lots of guys do back home (Maine) is to block under the back of the trailer to support the back end while loading, avoiding lift on the tongue... I think I'd opt for this.

Loading would be on flat ground...

-Tom

/ Towing a NH T2310 in a dump trailer? #4  
I don't see any problem with yor setup except for possibly the backhoe. Having had several, they almost always hit the ground during loading unless you use very long ramps or put blocks under the end of shorter ramps so that the tractor "steps" up when it goes over the blocks and the lower rear part fo the nackhoe does not drag. I do not mean the bucket as you need to keep it up until loaded.

Andy

/ Towing a NH T2310 in a dump trailer? #5  
I have a TC34 and dump trailer and it works great. My trailer is a 14,000# bumper pull behind an F250. It's a sweet combination although I don't have a backhoe. Dan

Partspring original New Holland parts

/ Towing a NH T2310 in a dump trailer? #6  
What if you backed it on to the trailer. It would give you more tongue weight and the backhoe wouldn't drag the ground when loading it.
Bill

/ Towing a NH T2310 in a dump trailer? #7  
I cannot recommend too highly a gooseneck rather than bumper hitch... I've posted on numerous threads my reasons...PM me if you want details

example... no need for a support for rear of the trailer when loading.... you simply won't lift the entire pickup up with a gooseneck... and, you will test to assure it is fully latched down before getting on the road. With a bumper pull.. you WILL need to use the rear blocks to keep from lifting the rear of your pickup off the ground... there have been numerous posts on TBN where people testify that they had problems, sometimes serious, when loading a tractor on a bumper pull trailer that lifted the pickup rear off the ground.

only plus with bumper hitch is you have full use of pickup bed... and I guess it's cheaper, too.

IMHO, gooseneck is about 10 times SAFER when towing... a 1 ton dually is PERFECT.. I, too, have a 1 ton dually and pull my 20 ft dump trailer with it... F350 6.7L diesel... awesome... the dually, also, is an extra safety factor... you will discover that it is EASY to put LOTS of weight in the dump trailer... if you ever load sand/dirt/gravel... then you will want all the power and safety factor you can muster in this case... also, properly operating trailer brakes.

/ Towing a NH T2310 in a dump trailer? #8  
I do it all the time, piece of cake. I have a TC-45D with 16LA front end loader with a NH 757-C backhoe. The trailer is a 7 x 14 PJ Gooseneck dump trailer rated for 14,000 lbs. Tow vehicle is a 1999 long bed F-250 4x4 with the 7.3 Powestroke diesel. When loading swing your backhoe all the way to one side, doesn't matter which way. When driving the tractor into the dump bed steer about six inches opposite of center line away from the side the backhoe is swung. Your front end loader bucket will be about 3 inches from the bed side. I always tilt my dump bed to where my ramps are almost aligned with the bed. Drive the tractor into the dump box (loader raised so bucket is over gooseneck) until brush guard just touches the front part of dump bed. Lower dump bed to flat position and close the doors on the trailer. Back the tractor up until the backhoe bucket is about 3 inches from the doors. Lower front end loader on top of goosneck and chain everything down. Works like a charm, have done it hundreds of times. The only bad part is crawling around in the dump trailer chaining everything down.

Dang...wish I had some pictures for you. If you have any questions please let me know.

/ Towing a NH T2310 in a dump trailer? #9  
Wondering if anyone has hauled a T2310 (the newer version of the TC40) in a dump trailer? We are getting one (being prepped now) and would like to keep our "trailer collection" to a minimum. To that end, we are contemplating a 16 foot dump trailer (with 9500 lb payload capacity). We are getting the tractor with a Woods BH90x backhoe, and with both that and the bucket, it would be a bit long for the trailer we are contemplating, but we could overhang the bucket on the front of the dump trailer.

Anyone done something similar? Would mostly be for local trips, not for long distance stuff...

Thanks!

-Tom

I have a friend that tows his JD 4110 in a dump trailer. One thing that comes to mind is that is a lot of weight sitting pretty high up.

/ Towing a NH T2310 in a dump trailer? #10  
You should not have any problems. I've seen a much heavier tractor in a dump trailer before.

And as stated earlier, I have to say goosenecks are better. But if a bumper pull fits your needs, it will work fine.

Good Luck!