Lift Arm Extension

/ Lift Arm Extension #1  

CHKOKC

Tractor
John Deere 3032E; JD 320X Mower
I'm having difficulty hooking up a Chipper to my Kubota 7610. The lift arms are just a little short and I can only get one side fastened and then the other side will not make up. I have the chains completely loose and it still will not fasten. When one is hooked on I cannot get the driveline engaged as it is too long. I've cut part of it away already and did not want to trim any more. If I cut away more it will only work with the Chipper. Are there any lift arm extensions on the market or any other ideas?

/ Lift Arm Extension #2  
You will have to cut the PTO shaft to fit. PTO shafts are normally sold a little bit too long for the application. Then you have to shorten them for your needs. There are two pieces to the shaft, the inner and the outer. You should cut them to equal lengths, so that at the lift point where your shaft is the shortest, you have about an inch of extra slide. Most likely, it will end up that that shaft will fit only that implement and that tractor. I have a different shaft for each of my implements, and a few spares lying around. Sometimes you will find one that will fit several, but not normally.

/ Lift Arm Extension #3  
Lift Arm Extensions can be done by getting yourself a quick attach brackets. such as from Harbor Freight or Pat's (a sponsor here). https://www.imcuniverse.com/store/easychange.htm

easychange_m500.jpg

/ Lift Arm Extension #4  
I'm having difficulty hooking up a Chipper to my Kubota 7610. The lift arms are just a little short and I can only get one side fastened and then the other side will not make up. I have the chains completely loose and it still will not fasten. When one is hooked on I cannot get the driveline engaged as it is too long. I've cut part of it away already and did not want to trim any more. If I cut away more it will only work with the Chipper. Are there any lift arm extensions on the market or any other ideas?

If you were not hooking up the driveline would you be able to fasten both lift arms? If so, the only thing you need to do is shorten the PTO shaft some more. Make sure to shorten it enough so that it does not bottom out when the shaft is horizontal... with the output and input shafts from the tractor and chipper at the same level. This should be covered in both the tractor and chipper manuals. Good Luck!

/ Lift Arm Extension #5  
You know, I never thought of the quick attach idea. It seems like a good one. But why are QA's not standard on all tractors? If we can put people on the moon, wouldn't it be wise to have a smarter system (like that one) for attaching implements?

/ Lift Arm Extension #6  
Stradbash - The OP stated "...I've cut part of it away already and did not want to trim any more. If I cut away more it will only work with the Chipper..." Besides quick hitches makes the process easier...

burkehill, makes sense to me to put it on all tractors... but I just got the quick attach from horrible fright this week after 4 years without one :rolleyes: This is what I bought: - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices Have not used it yet... going up this wk/ed.

I'm going to do whatever I have to so that it will work with everything. You can get 20% off coupons and it's on sale for $80 till Monday (I think). I was able to pick it up for $68.

/ Lift Arm Extension
Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm putting the plan together now and should have it working soon. I like the quick hitch idea, but not opposed to cutting more of the driveline down to size.

/ Lift Arm Extension #8  
You know, I never thought of the quick attach idea. It seems like a good one. But why are QA's not standard on all tractors? If we can put people on the moon, wouldn't it be wise to have a smarter system (like that one) for attaching implements?
Because it is not necessarily a good idea. You lose the articulation on one end of your lift arm. This causes more stress, especially when you need to run one arm at a different height to tilt the implement. Also, most of the quick attaches extend the implement further to the rear giving it more leverage on the tractor. The extension can be convenient or not, but is seriously bad with heavy implements that are anywhere near the tractors specd capacity.
larry

/ Lift Arm Extension #9  
But what if... it was design properly in the first place so we don't have to do aftermarket QA?? So it doesn't stick out... So it's built tough enough for the heavy stuff...

/ Lift Arm Extension #10  
Yeah, a factory QA that retained the articulation offered by the ball & socket would be win - win. Difficult to achieve with as much ruggedness and reliability offered by the std socket. Not enuf demand??
larry