Generator 15KW PTO Generator Harbor Freight

/ 15KW PTO Generator Harbor Freight #1  

slotoro

Tractor
Kubota L4240
Has anyone here purchased and used the 15KW PTO generator from Harbor Freight? I would like to hear your thoughts before I buy one. I have used the IMD brand during hurricane Gustav and was very pleased with it but would rather not pay $2500 for one. $1100 sounds much better if the quality is reasonable.

/ 15KW PTO Generator Harbor Freight #2  
I think this is my first time answering someoens question on here but here goes ...

I personally haven't used the PTO you mention from harbor freight but with the hurricane season coming up ive been lookin pretty hard. I know I have seen IMD and Wincro units at the NMF show before and I dont remmber prices that high but maybe they went up. I think both of em had show specials with free freight. I clicked the IMD ad before and I think they offer some kind fo special for members of the site.

I know that may not help much but the one thing I do know is that I'll never by another chicago electric tool or piece fo equipment from harbor freight again. From bit holders that fell apart the first time I used them to needle nose pliers that broke within a week of normal use and air tools that just plain didnt work, im not buy chiago electric again. It may say chicago but its all made in china. I havent decided wether or not im going with a standby generator or a PTO one but I know im not getting one of the ones off harbor freight. The people at my local store dont mind takin returns but if I need power because a hurricane knocked mine out, im gonna be pretty upset if the thing doesnt work.

One last thing, ive seen that same unit on several sites all over the internet under different names, ive seen it blue, yellow, and black and it's all on sites that are known for selling a majority of chinesee product.

Once agian, hope that helps.

/ 15KW PTO Generator Harbor Freight
SH84,
Thanks for the reply. The cheapest price I found on an IMD 15KW with shaft and 3 point hitch was $2200. If you see anything different please let me know.

/ 15KW PTO Generator Harbor Freight #4  
I have a northstar ( northern tools ) 12.5/13kw pto genset.. got it for 999$ in 04. I don't know the name of the manufacturer. but the accompaniing paperwork has chinese characters on it.. so it is an asain unit.

I've used the heck out of it during hurricanes, and as stationary power for a well on my farm property before i had power out there.

soundguy

/ 15KW PTO Generator Harbor Freight
Soundguy,
It looks like the cost of your generator has gone up to $1400 from Northern Tool. Do you know if your unit has Automatic Voltage Regulation? I am curious to know if this feature is worth looking into.

/ 15KW PTO Generator Harbor Freight #6  
You will want automatic voltage regulation to stabilize the voltage somewhat. Placing loads on the generator are going to pull down the voltage and frequency unless the system has some sort of speed governor. The frequency is critical for some electronic items to work right.

/ 15KW PTO Generator Harbor Freight #7  
Soundguy,
It looks like the cost of your generator has gone up to $1400 from Northern Tool. Do you know if your unit has Automatic Voltage Regulation? I am curious to know if this feature is worth looking into.

Capacitive ( passive) voltage regulation.

And no.. I've never experienced a problem with it.

I've run just about all the electronics in my house off that ptogenset.. including inductive and motor start loads.. incandescent.. and stuff like tv/radio.

I have a nice comercial VOM with osciliscope and freq counter.. the power coming off that genny as good or better than my line utility.

soundguy

/ 15KW PTO Generator Harbor Freight #8  
You will want automatic voltage regulation to stabilize the voltage somewhat. Placing loads on the generator are going to pull down the voltage and frequency unless the system has some sort of speed governor. The frequency is critical for some electronic items to work right.

So far.. capacitive regulation has not let me down.

As for a load dropping frequency and voltage?

Frequency is dependent on rpm.. rpm is dependent on tractor engine.

how many tractor engines you see with no governor?

if the load is within the rated specs of the genny, and the tractor governor is working properly.. you should not see noticeable freq or voltage lags.

Remember.. this is a situation where more is better... if you need a full 15kw and have a 30hp tractor and a 15kw genny.. you are right at the limit. In other words.. try to have extra capacity in the genny AND the tractor. Having extra tractor capacity means loading the genny won't drop the rpm.

IE.. droping a 10k load ( motor start ) on a genny needing 24hp but running her on a large 50-70 hp tractor means you are much less likely to lug down the engine.

I know my 70hp diesel ford 5000 don't even know the 12kw genny is back there even at full electrical load with constant motor starts and stops.. like well and shop equpment.. along with incandescent laods.. and the radio playing while out working on the farm... ( of course.. the old 33hp ford 660 ran it good too... )

soundguy

/ 15KW PTO Generator Harbor Freight #9  
If you are looking for a generator to run for long periods of time (e.g. days or weeks for a hurricane), consider the amount of fuel you will consume running your tractor a full throttle. Will you have it stored up in advance? You can't depend on the local dealer to supply fuel.

How much power do you really need? For the price you are talking, you can buy a quiet Honda (or Yamaha) generator which is quiet and doesn't take nearly as much fuel.

/ 15KW PTO Generator Harbor Freight #10  
Fuel used should be very close to power consumed.

I'd depend more on my tractor to start vs a whizzbang to start, when really needed..

as for long term power... I wonder how many people are actually needing 24/7 full time power.. vs intermittant power to cool down reefer's every few hours.. pump up wells.. etc..??

soundguy