roller pump

/ roller pump #1  

sparkyjc

I inherited a spray rig and I'm trying to refurbish. It has an old pto roller type pump and I was wondering if it need a pop off or recirculating valve, when I'm not spraying. Also will I need a pressure regulator? Does any one have a piping diagram? Any sites to buy parts I might need (strainer, valves, regulator etc.)

/ roller pump #2  
Yes, mine had an adjustable pressure regulator with what I called a bypass (maybe the same thing you're calling a recirculating valve? since I'm not sure what the correct terminology is:)) but it allowed the excess pressure to return to the tank, which also served the purpose of keeping the material in the tank stirred..

/ roller pump #4  
Make sure you can get it to roll before you spend money on it. I have seen roller pumps stuck so bad that the housing would break before you could get them broke loose.

/ roller pump #5  
Make sure you can get it to roll before you spend money on it. I have seen roller pumps stuck so bad that the housing would break before you could get them broke loose.

Yep, when I first got my spray rig, it had been sitting, unused for quite some time and the pump was seized, so I bought a new pump. I later learned that I should not have bought a new pump; I should have just disassembled the old one and cleaned the corrosion thoroughly in the glass bead blaster cabinet, which I had to do later to the second pump. Then I solved the problem (believe I learned here on TBN) by keeping it full of Prestone antifreeze when not in use.

/ roller pump #6  
I used to have a spray rig with a roller pump (Hypro 7 roller I think?) they work well and can develop about 300 psi pressure. Be sure that you get an adjustable regulator with a wide range of pressure if you are setting up small mister nozzles as these require a high pressure to work right. If you are spraying a stream with a gun or wand you can use a much lower pressure around 50 psi. If all you are going to do is use a spray wand you might consider an rv type water puimp that runs on 12 volts and has an automatic pressure switch and regulator built in, about $100 or less. this should be good for a smaller 50 gallon rig for homeowners.

Steve

/ roller pump #7  
What Bird said......do it.
I am now working on a second sprayer. First was using an old hydraulic pump...totally siezed. Kept in submerged in WD40 for two weeks. Slowly wiggle it and it eventually turned. Then I disassemled it, cleaned it up...now works like a charm.
Another neighbour gave me a complete sprayer that has been sitting for about three years. Totally siezed. It' sitting in WD40 right now. I know I can recover it too.
Then I will fill it with Prestone when not in use.
BTW I keep a couple of gallons of WD40 around just for soaking and recovering things. It really helps.

Good luck on your sprayer.
Glenn.